Old style trailer brake controller vs. new ones.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig came with an older style trailer brake controller that splices into the brake fluid line. It works fine. At least I think it does. When I manually slide the lever I can feel the trailer drag. Is there a reason to move to an all electric controller? Why?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
No, I have several in my trucks. Most are electric, and one is the old fluid type. All work quite well when adjusted properly. I'm moving heavy equip. with dually trucks, so they HAVE to work, and they do. I believe the only reason the new ones are all electric is to ease installation.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
dansvan,
From what I gather the old style hydraulic controllers are the best way to go. My understanding is that ABS vehicles made it so those style of controllers wouldn't work. They are (the hyd systems) 100% proportional. More brake pressure = more braking voltage to the trailer brakes.

New systems use senors to determine how fast you're attempting to slow down and adjust the voltage output to match. The main signal on the newer systems is the brake sending unit. That's "on" whenever you press hard enough on the brake pedal to activate the brake lights. They have to add circuitry so the trailer doesn't lock up (full 12 volts) at onset, light application of the brakes, light trailer brakes.

My 2¢ worth anyway.

Mike

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the only advantage of the new style controllers is the ease and quickness of installation.

Regardless of design and bells and whistles, no controller can put any more current to the trailer-brakes than a solid wire from HOT battery post to brake-magnet.

I have numerous trucks, some with modern electronic controllers, and some with the older hydraulic-actuated style.

Myself, I prefer the older style.

I have, in a pinch, controlled trailer-brakes with two wires taped to the gear-pole, touching their stripped ends together, when I needed brakes.

A little fancier set-up was to install a toggle between the two wires, making the braking a little easier to accomplish.

A few months ago, on a different site, someone came up with a bunch of new/old-stock hydraulic-actuated controllers and sold them all in just a few days for, if memory serves, around seventy bucks apiece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin