'Ol Faithful is sick (assesment of my 7.3, with video!!)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the test again and see if the blowby gasses get pulled back in by 1000 RPM. The lighting can be tricky with these videos and this might not be as bad as it looks.

The oil pressure is a little on the low side, but still not that big a deal. These engines have oil squirters that eat up a lot of the oil pressure at idle.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries with the oil pressure, that seems like a lot of blowby its more obvious with the air cleaner off as you have it there, if it goes away or greatly subsides when you give it some throttle its probably not too serious. Engine doesn't sound bad at all under the hood, not saying it doesn't have a valve problem it might, I have no experience with that(thankfully) other than what I've read here.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yes, running the engine withthe air cleaner off like that will make the blowby out the oil fill look worse than it is. With no air filter on there, you have zero intake restriction and what little manifold vacuum that you would normally have to draw the blowby gasses through the CDR into the intake dissapears so it is going to look worse since it is going to be puffing out more. Try is again withthe air filter installed

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'll try and do the test again today with the air filter on. If I can, I'll post another video tonight.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
If it comes down to a rebuild I think if you looked around you could find a good running engine for about the price as it would be to tear it down. You can still tear the old one down & fix it up for a backup or sell it to someone else that needs an engine.

sootman73

Reaction score
aw it doesn't hurt too bad when you hit the fan doing that. i cant help but do it almost everytime. course im not doing it now cuz it hasn't ran in a month. i dont know if its just cuz i have a turbo but mine barely has any blowby at idle or any rpm for that matter.