'Ol Faithful is sick (assesment of my 7.3, with video!!)

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you have read the post where I am considering a cummins swap, I've got some more info on the IDI. I went and bought a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge to see exactly what my oil pressure was doing. Also, I found some other problems. Watch the video:

You must be registered for see images
[/url][/IMG]

The motor was warmed up and idling with about 12-15psi of oil pressure.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

mR

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple solution...
Buy mine...oil pressure is solid, purrrrs like a kitten, runs like a bull with his nuts in a vice and my radiator isn't missing any paint!
Seriously...removing that cap with the engine running with...ONE HAND =stud or stupid!:D
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all of these motors will have blowby at idle. bring it off idle to 900 rpm, if the blowby persists or returns, you have a problem. right now I see a old motor but no major issues.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Me thinks that's a lot of blow by as well - it does come with age but in my book it's also an indicator of the health of the engine and in my book that much blow by would have me concerned.

Now your oil pressure... is this on a hot motor or a cold one?

On a cold motor I would expect to see more on a hot (normal operating temp) it doesn't seem all that out of place yes it's a little low but as long as it's above 7psi at idle then your good to go.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
12-19 PSI is normal for these old motors. It takes 3PSI to turn on the oil pressure light so I guess you can run it with as low as 3PSI. Mine runs about 12-15 Warm at idle at 700RPM, was told it was normal. I have little blow by coming from dipstick, and also with oil filler cap off.

Take the cap off and give the truck a little bit of idle, should go away, then try it again then put your hand over the oil filler hole, it should kind of suck on your hand.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This video was taken at normal operating temperature. When I first started it up, the pressure was 45 psi. I know I'm getting some blow by on the valves. I can hear it when I use engine braking to slow down. I can hear the valves "chirping." So, I know I at least need the heads done.

For the oil pressure, I guess I was thinking that was awful low. I my be just used to gas V8's, where it should be around 20 psi.

I'm going to do a compression check before I pull the heads, however, I guess that won't really tell me much until I get the heads straightened around, huh?

mR

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about the oil or blowby, looks and sounds quite normal for these gals.

Not that this is what to do but I had to run my 6.9 all winter when it was making metal that the filter was catching (probably valve train from the sound of it) and still had 425psi in all 8 with 330K on it this spring.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fun taking that filler cap off with the fan going a gazillion miles an hour 2 inches from your fingers huh?:rotflmao

My truck has a "chirping sound" as well but it has been doing it for 3 and a half years now so I don't think anything is wrong with mine but if you've narrowed it down to the valves get them looked at, a dropped valve is very bad!

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fun taking that filler cap off with the fan going a gazillion miles an hour 2 inches from your fingers huh?:rotflmao

My truck has a "chirping sound" as well but it has been doing it for 3 and a half years now so I don't think anything is wrong with mine but if you've narrowed it down to the valves get them looked at, a dropped valve is very bad!

Yeah, I made sure I was looking at my hand and NOT the camera when I was taking that cap off. I figured I would drop the damned thing in the fan and watch it shoot out, hitting me in the head, and making me to drop the camera. Now that would have been a video!

Hey, I'm encouraged by all of your thoughts so far, thanks.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Yeah, I made sure I was looking at my hand and NOT the camera when I was taking that cap off. I figured I would drop the damned thing in the fan and watch it shoot out, hitting me in the head, and making me to drop the camera. Now that would have been a video!

Hey, I'm encouraged by all of your thoughts so far, thanks.
I think of this when i open the hood too! :eek: Run it!!

wolfman

Reaction score
I'm a newby with diesels, but I've noticed tht with my 86 6.9 that my blow-by out the filler neck is a lot greater when the air filter is off. When the air filter is on, the motor hardly has any blow-by.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It doesn't look or sound out of line for an old diesel from here.
If you want to help the blowby situation a bit, run a couple of treatments of Auto RX through the thing. That stuff really helps old diesels.