okay broken off alen key head in ip pump set screw

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A rare earth magnet connected to 1/4 inch drive extension might pull it free.. How did this happen so others wont do it... We all could learn from your mishap....

zpd307

Reaction score
hopefully that works. i would think that the wrench did some twisting first before it snapped off, therefore blending it into the screw itself. good luck.

78fordf150

Reaction score
the allen key was a snap on with the little circle ball type end,the prev owner cranked the pump way up so i had too use the long end and ended up snaping the ball end off in the set screw,so now a good working ip pump is junk. managed too score a free rebuilt one off a buddies old 7.3 idi.

tryed earth magnets and you can even grab it with anything cause its flush with the top of the set screw.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
At this point youll probably have to remove teh pump and get it on the bench and try to dig the thing out with a pick tool and if that doesn't budge it, a small drill and an easy out to wiggle the thing out, and flush the cavity out good

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Vibration.
You KNOW that if you left it in there, it would vibrate out all by itself, and then go somewhere where it could do massive damage--all at the most inopportune time.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
the allen key was a snap on with the little circle ball type end,the prev owner cranked the pump way up so i had too use the long end and ended up snaping the ball end off in the set screw.

Just an FYI for those that have never broken one, the ball drivers are not good for high torque and this will happen at the worst time just to **** you off. The IP screw takes a good amount of torque so it doesn't self adjust while you're driving, and it's pretty small which makes snapping it off that much easier. I only use the ball drivers after I've broken the bolt loose with a standard wrench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online