Ok where is it......

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok where is it......Oil cooler info??????

Ok don't we have a sticky for oil cooler R&R? This morning at my normal parking spot, ( marked by my leaking PS) is open so i back in. With-in a couple of minutes of talking to a buddy I look under the truck and see 2 puddles the size of a pancake.:eek:
My truck has problems but leaking oil was not one of them. When I get home to check it out and it seems to be leaking from the front oil cooler header.
So...... what years have the 6-rings and what years have the four? should i just take the one off the parts truck or pull the whole 7.3 out and stick it in and then do a complete rebuild on the 6.9?:dunnocookoo

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm probably not much help, when i did mine last time , I used hydraulic press to put it back together. Just greased up the new orings set them on the main body and it slid right back together. I bet with a big mallet and some choice words the same thing could be accomplished

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I didn't want to go beating on it, I tried to use my bottle jack and a solid structure but could not find any? Any ideas?? Help!!!!!!

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
i bolted up the front mount, then slipped it together, or rather lined it up. then took a 3 foot pry bar, actually think i used a crowbar, and pried forward and cussed and pried. finally just "popped" together after a bit. nearly popped a few blood vessils and had a hernia in the process though. i also took the advise of using plenty of vaseline.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 83 and 84's had the 6 ring cooler.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

All right my 260 lbs came in good for something. I was able to push it back together and then reinstall it with ease.!! just a few more things to do and I'll get to fire it up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a pipe clamp, you know, the long adjustable type, layed the whole mess in a length of channel iron put the clamp on it and just screwed it together lots of lube, synthetic grease works the best.

260!!! you're just a little guy.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Being 6'2" I carry it well. But I do need to drop 50 or so off to feel better and keep up with my kids! All I got to do now is wait for my rads to come back from the shop and I'll test it.;Sweet

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
lucky guy, i had to do this with 160lbs. i almost had to get my neighboor to help me.