OK what am i doing wrong!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I would try bypassing the fuel switching valve - this is how I would do it for testing purposes...

I would take fuel can and stuff a fuel line down into it and hook up the other end to the mechanical fuel pump and start the truck - then see how your fuel pressure is.... if good I would then I would say that the 6 port switching valve is bad. If not then I would start looking at the fuel filter or mechanical pump that you installed....

With the electric fuel pump that I ran it would make more noise when it was starving for fuel than when it was pushing against wall.

my electric pump always was dead quite till it got fuel then it got loud

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the proper way to really test a pump is to measure not just the pressure but also vacuum produced.

do yourself a tremendous favor. Go to Autozone, spend the twenty dollars on a vacuum/pressure gauge. It'll be like 0-10psi and 0-30inch of vacuum on the gauge face, it'll come with some tubing and a few different connectors. While you're at it, buy yourself a vacuum pump (mity vac) is a fair brand, another $20 or so.
These two tools will do 200different things and will help you diagnose a ton of different things on your truck.

Far to often, you have a problem on your truck, and the immediate response is to replace a part, post here about what you think it might be....
This is incorrect. You need to see not just parts, but parts in a system.
Once you see the part in the system, you can begin to test several things regarding it and narrow down the problem. My goal when something is broken is to prove the parts that are good..... test all the associated parts and narrow down the problem.
For me, a pump is not dead unless I take it out of the system and test it in an ideal environment.

ohhh and you do not *need* a fuel tank or any valves.... I have run a truck on a gas can tied to the side mirror or a beer bottle bungee corded to the firewall.

I do not mean any of this in a condescending tone, I am trying to help you solve your own problems.

Best of luck,
Drew

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ARGVE AND DEEPROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant tell yall thankyou enough times! Thank yall so much for sugesting to bypass the tank switching valve deal, i bypassed it, and boom truck went right back to normal! thank yall so so so much;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet:hail:hail:hail

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
good now clean the switch out and try it again. new ones are expensive.
When I ran WVO even tho I filtered to 1micron, my (many) valves would clog.

I was inclined to think that the real problem is the lack of stabilizers in the fuel and not so much how well you filtered.

anyway, ain't my first rodeo :)
Now go buy some tools with the money you saved on parts.

Best of luck,
Drew

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Autozone, Pepboys and almost all marine centers carry switch valves. They are much cheaper than a stock replacement and they seem to be great quality. I needed one for my boat and since the marine center, Autozone and Pepboys are all pretty close to me I did some price comparison. Pepboys had the best deal at $36 so I got one for the boat and one for The Pickle.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
while on the subject, Summit racing has rotor and vane rebuild kits for the holley red for about $16.

best of luck,
Drew