Ok someone sell me a diesel tach for my 84'!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Haven't found an outfit that will rebuild mine yet, either locally or online. Will an aftermarket dash mounted tach work with the OEM cabling? Maybe thats the route I need to go until I can source an in dash OEM one...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Th tiny tach is nice. I have one, but you've got to figure out a way to mount it, give it 5-12VDC and give it some backlighting. 9 times out of 10 your factory tach needs a new sensor/pickup or one of the wires is exposed and just needs some electric tape. These sensors *should* still be available from Ferd for about $60. I think Towcat has the # you need in the parts bin. Good luck

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I have signal to the tach the tach is dead.

Th tiny tach is nice. I have one, but you've got to figure out a way to mount it, give it 5-12VDC and give it some backlighting. 9 times out of 10 your factory tach needs a new sensor/pickup or one of the wires is exposed and just needs some electric tape. These sensors *should* still be available from Ferd for about $60. I think Towcat has the # you need in the parts bin. Good luck

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Sure you could, available at most salvage yards

The reason I suggest this is, is because in 6 yeaars of reading message boards about these rigs, I've never heard of an actual guage going bad. I've read lots of problems with the circuit boards. Some just need the plug/board contacts cleaned up. They're not protected from moisture, and can easily corrode enough to allow bad connections.

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there just so happens to be an 84/85 6.9 sitting in a yard that i frequent almost daily.its under 2 cars but i might be able to see if the tach is still in it and if i could get it out.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
If you could get the complete cluster with the speedo too that would be awesome, pm me pls.

there just so happens to be an 84/85 6.9 sitting in a yard that i frequent almost daily.its under 2 cars but i might be able to see if the tach is still in it and if i could get it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online