Ok.. One more time on the sca's please

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read and searched to the point of eyes crossing on these additives and there are sooo many views its maddening.i have seen where the newer ps can run the acid based preloaded coolant but older (pre 97) can't. So...here's where I'm at.
1995 ps with green coolant that shows very small color change on the test strip for additives. Previous owner always had it serviced at a shop but doesn't know anything beyond that. So.. I guess what im looking for is Anyone with a 94-97 ps to give me a specific name of coolant and additive they run and ill go from there.. Lol
Thanks for any advice.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Psd doesnt require sca,wont hurt it if you do use it.

ANY diesel should have sca's in it, just that the psd has a real bore thickness to it. Cavitation is cause by the cylinder wall flexing under the powerstroke and bubbles on the bore wall implode on themselves causing cavitation, they all do it. Idi 7.3 blocks are so thin from being bored out that it happens to them faster, but they CAN all do it. Put a elc coolant in it and check the additive package at oil changes and youll be ok.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
The lower compression ratio on the powerstroke should greatly reduce cavitation effects. I think you'll be fine even if there is no evidence of SCAs. I would add SCAs though. I would suggest just looking in the owners manual to see what kind of coolant is specified there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain it including the block drains, flush it, put in FleetGard w/SCA and you'll be good for 100K miles. I think 4 gallons concentrate and 4 gallons of STEAM distilled water.

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's drain and flush is what I did. Whew .. Even though this rig has apparently not been abused there's a 100 little things , $50 here $ 80 there but i'll get it where I want it someday.. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online