OK @ 15,000 miles on new 7.3 .020

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there it is I have made it this far as a daily driver since I put it all back together.

I have not purchased a single gallon of diesel for it and have not changed the oil either.

I have taken an oil sample but too broke to send it in at the moment.

I have been using 10W30SAE30 weight AMSOIL diesel oil

For the first 1,000 miles I used AMSOIL breakin 30weight oil.

Installed a NOS 30 year old AMSOIL steel can BYPASS filter

I notice it uses about 2 quarts every 3000 miles, it may leak but hell
I aint about to climb under there to fix anything, best I will do is pressure wash it.

So I make my own fuel and don't change the oil and survived this long. :rotflmao

Can I get banned for telling the truth? Probably! :yell:

I would love to answer questions!
Oh and by the way I have been the only one that wrenches on this truck since 1999

Javier

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have changed the break in oil early to get most of the wear particles out.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 1,000 miles I pulled the filter, cut it open, cut out some media, squeezed out the oil and I found nothing, not even cat hair I expected to find.

I try my best to keep the engine clean as I build.
Most wear is from a lousy builder not caring about
contamination.

I am very pleased with my results.

I also pulled all the glow plugs the day I started the engine.
spun it over till pressure rose.
Quick way to get oil to the top of the engine.
Started right up.

Javier

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who did your machine work? Nobody within 100 miles of me does good work. Or I just have bad luck. I put a brand new chevy crate motor in a customers truck and it ate the distributor drive gear 500 miles later. Lost my **** on that deal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you deserve a pat on the back. But why wont to fix the oil leak...:dunno Seems to me thats something a peron really wants to repair. If it was a fuel leak I'm betting you will be on it hot n after it even if the fuel is free. The 20 over is not an issue most of the time. I know of a member that hauled heavy many thousands of miles with a 20 over engine to. Having a 20 over bore is not a death sentence. but it does put us closer to it with cavitation issues. The bypass filter is what I feel all of us should be running. I plan to install a bypass filter soon. Looking at the color of my oil just after a change really bothers me. I will pick up the supply off the drivers side of the block main oil gallery. Then run the return to the lift pump block off plate. Braided stainless steel supply line in 1/8 inch. Rubber return line because there is no pressure on the return. Just gravity flow is all the return is. About 6 months ago I missed getting a free Frantz bypass oil filter at a neighbors house. I saw him setting stuff out for anyone to take. The wifey wanted this huge mirror so I just barely got it into the accord trunk and saw the oil filter in a box. Thought it was going to make a mess in the accord trunk so I passed it up. Driving back home I decided to pick it up... But damn.. It was gone.. Story of my life. Hesitate and al is lost..:cry:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who did your machine work? Nobody within 100 miles of me does good work. Or I just have bad luck. I put a brand new chevy crate motor in a customers truck and it ate the distributor drive gear 500 miles later. Lost my **** on that deal.

I feel your pain, I have two shops I use, one is 40 miles away the other 60 miles one way, I drive past 10 shops cause they all SUCK!
I have been doing this type work for 20 years so I get to do a bit of work at the Machine shop to help along as well as pay the bill, when all is done it is done right, I usually am present when the work is being done.

Funny thing is I had, "Jim Passed away recently" A full Machine shop within walking distance great guy, but he never was available, he died fighting whatever disease he had, Then one just 2 miles away, then another 5 miles and a crap load more, they all are notorious for making good parts into scrap metal.

I spent a lot of money in fuel before I got smart. I still use a lot of fuel.

Icanfixall I would fix the leak but dang don't have any extra injector caps.
It could be fuel or oil, both the same color LOL! the injector caps only on the pass side leak, driver side dry as a bone.
Im tired of working on the truck and rather just drive it. You now it has been a rough 5 years for me. Im not letting some
pesky leak slow me down at this point. It does run just fine, Never runs bad or never does that air intrusion rough idle deal.

What I am having trouble with is the driveshaft, all them joints are ******* me off, changed them lately and they keep making noise.
Fixed it a few days ago and last nite a whole new type of noise, I looked and the rear joint is loose in the yoke Im like ***!

Anyway the world still revolves around OBAMA

Javier

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed it a few days ago and last nite a whole new type of noise, I looked and the rear joint is loose in the yoke Im like ***!

Javier

First sounds like good build ya got going...spend the 40 bucks get a return line kit with new caps and be done!

Not sure, what diff you have but if sterling, I'd suggest gandering at the small tabs that hold the Ujoint in place, if they get hammered they tend to wear and then the joint slides back and forth or gets offset when installing and causes a vibration. Don't ask how I know about that.... but I knocked the tab inward with a BFH to set that puppy straight! Works great no vib no issues...still know about it and drive accordingly!

JM2CW

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online