Oil Sample Results

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, I have my oil report for the second oil sample and with 2500 miles on Delo 400 15W40. No oil added and the rings still are not seating. The iron is low at47 ppm as compared to the first sample with 740 miles showing 31 ppm. I know my sleeves are a harder material that I asked for but gee wizz. When will the rings seat... The aluminum went down for about 3 times the miles on the oil to 8 ppm from 10 ppm. I'm looking at the molybdenum. Its showing 258 ppm down from 275 ppm but the universal average is 23 ppm. What is this telling me? The chrome went up to 5 ppm from 3 ppm and the average is 2 ppm so maybe thats the rings seating in too. I don't know. On another topic Saturday I went to an old war bird museum. They had an open cockpit day. I have pictures of me sitting in the cockpit of the SR-71 Blackbird........:hail I have been watching this plane for some time and just couldn't pass up this shot in the plane. It was way better than.... Well it was really something else. Then I sat in the Mig 21F Fishbed C. It was really rudimentary at the very best. Then it was off to a C141 Starlifter, A KC135, a B17. I even have been trying to sneak inside the B29 but I'm not so lucky yet. A filled out an application to become a volunteer but the list seems longer than my arm. The person told me "I'll give you a call if I need you". Now thats just not in the best interest of being a volunteer. Anyway I had the time of my life so far for this year. Some of you know my profile on the other site about sitting in the pilots seat of the Spruce Goose with my wife in the co-pilots seat. Also I boarded the Russian sub called the Scorpian. Now that was an embarrasment to see how "they" lived chasing after us. I know why some of the boats were called sewer pipes.:rotflmao

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well back in auto mechanic's school we had an instructor that was an old army mechanic. He told us that if you had an old motor that was burning oil to sprinkle some "Bon Ami" cleanser into the intake, and that it would seat the rings.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Did you use moly rings, I believe they are molybdenum. Also how do you know they are not seating, are you figuring that out by excess fuel in the oil.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it still using oil? You said that you didn't have to add any make up oil in 2500 miles, so at worst you'd ahve been 2 quarts low at the change, so a quart per 1250 miles. Sounds like an improvement, or not? Are you sure the blue smoke is oil and not fuel??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel. White smoke can be coolant or fuel at startup with bad glow plugs. I forgot what gray smoke was....