oil report

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EZ,

I think the fuel is doing a number on the bearings.

I agree with Travis and Blackstone. Keep a close eye on your oil pressure as it too can give you an indication if the bearings are going bad.

Idleing isn't good for diesels and can increase wear on bearings, 2 - 3 minute warm up is fine, more than that you should really consider putting in a hand throttle and run it up to 1000 - 1200 after an initial minute or 2 at idle especially if you're having to wait that 30 minutes to warm up the WVO

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
EZ,

Gonna need an exhaust brake if you're going to continue with the long idleing periods... I can flip mine on and watch the pryo climb from around 100~200 degrees all the way up to a smidgen over 400... and if I have the idle speed turned up a bit I can even get 500 out of her in the winter time. That keeps everything burning like it should.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion, it is 30 minutes (i was going to type 1/2 hour :rolleyes: ) and yes I been having this oil pressure problem that is very wierd, if the front of the truck is high oil pressure will take up to 1 minute or more to build up but if the truck is at level or front down is just fine.

At first I thought it was the bypass filter because it started after I installed it but maybe that is not the problem.

I've already reduced the idle periods to very few minutes and will go back to 3k oil change for now and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, bummer on the oil report. Here are a few things to consider
1) You have got top find out hwo that fuel is getting intot he crankcase adn stop it.
2) WVO will not burn well at idle temps, once your EGTs go below 400 you'll be having a lot of unburned and partly burned residuals.
3) WVO can have a lot of FFA acids from burning and cooking in it, which will cause an acid attack on your bearings.
The prolonged idleing may be the actual cause of the fuel in the oil, as 30 minutes would be real ******* her. I was told that you shouldn't idle an IDI much longer than 5 minutes without a fast idle lever or I guess an exhaust brake may have the same effect.
With the oil pressure, the number you need to pay attention to is the hot 2200 plus RPM pressure by the mechanical or electric gauge. It must be at least 30PSI, although IH really spec'd 40 for all 7.3s and newer 6.9s(why I don't know if 30 was fine for the 83-85 units) and I'd like to see hot idle oil pressure be at least 10.
On the plus side the damage may be done, but you may have many trouble free miles ahead especially if you correct the problem. I had a 103PPM oil report that I posted about here and over at TDS. That was about 20,000 miles ago and I still have goo power, oil pressure and no abnormal noises. I would monitor teh oil pressure adn send blackstone a sample of the new oil once you have followed the suggestions here about idling. Good luck....at worst you and some of teh NE IDI brothers can poull it out and learn how to do bearing R&R once the other metals get too high for comfort. (Copper and Tin)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I do have a question, I will change the oil for this time using motorcraft diesel oil instead of amsoil since I'll run it for only 3k miles and see what difference it makes. Now I don't feel like spending $30+ on filters just for 3k so is there any replacement (safe?) for the ones that come with the amsoil kit? What I'm trying to say is, can I just buy a couple that will fit and no need to buy the amsoil filters for this oil? Travis, any ideas on that or just put the one that fit's?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin