Oil Question

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I know this is an Age old Question but:

Delo or Rotellla

I'd always ran Rotella untill last oil change..then I put Delo in it ..I'm not to impressed with it.. I've got to change oil this afternoon I think I'm going back to Rotella..

Has anyone else notice a change like this??

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I have ever run in my pickup is Delo, but I have never had perofrmance issues with it so I have never had a reason to switch. My Blackstone analysis always comes back fantastic.

What left a bad impression about Delo? FWIW, I have also heard the same to be true about Delo users switching to Rotella.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
All I have ever run in my pickup is Delo, but I have never had perofrmance issues with it so I have never had a reason to switch. My Blackstone analysis always comes back fantastic.

Ditto verbatum

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO I think they are both fine lubricants, but you gotta stick with the one thats a proven winner for you.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
IMHO I think they are both fine lubricants, but you gotta stick with the one thats a proven winner for you.

I've sent test off to Blackstone also with good reports back??? I thought I'd give Delo a chance to see if I could tell a difference ...and unfortunately I did?? I'm not gonna set here and say that Delo is an inferiour product.. I just liked Rotella better..but also remember this is what I've run in my truck since I've had it

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Having put over 600k mi on 2 IDI's;) that were fed nothing but Rotella, and with my PSD at 201xxx I'll stay with the Rotella:thanks:

I've heard several different theroies on why that happens.......
different cleansing{additives} etc.......but no real concrete evidence:sorry:

I do recall a customer who went from Delo to Texaco URSA and noticed a higher consumpition, more smoke and soot on the transom and at the next change-100 hrs- went back to Delo with no further issues....just that quick!

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I did the same a while back and switched to Delo and could tell that the truck did not like it for some reason don't know why but next change went back to Rotella. My Blackstone reports have always come back good.

John

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by jharvey
I did the same a while back and switched to Delo and could tell that the truck did not like it for some reason don't know why but next change went back to Rotella. My Blackstone reports have always come back good.

John

I assume when you switched back it went back to running as good as before??

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I assume when you switched back it went back to running as good as before??

Yepper sure did, I think both are fine oil's and I honestly think that it wasn't so much the truck didn't like it more than I wasn't used to the way it ran with the Delo. I've thought about giving Mystic JT-8 a try and see how that "feels".

John

Believer45

Reaction score
Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac 1300 are all readily available premium diesel rated dino oils. All will work well in your (and my) trucks. Personal experience will tell which you are best satisfied with.

My bona-fides: 31 years experience in trucking, 14 years supervising/managing/training techs and supervisors in truck repair shops, 12 years driving, 36 years working on my own and friends vehicles.

Use the one that you are best satisfied with. My personal preference or what my current employer uses are not really important but they are different and they are both on the list above.

Dave / Believer45

upnorth

good
Reaction score
I've got Delo Syn.in both the 7.3's. I'm not sure but it seems like the Delo causes the idle to be a little rough.

The '97 I got a week ago was idleing really smooth until I switched it to Delo, now it seems to idle just a little rough. Next time I change the oil in one of them I'll try a different brand and see if I notice anything.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Believer45
My bona-fides: 31 years experience in trucking, 14 years supervising/managing/training techs and supervisors in truck repair shops, 12 years driving, 36 years working on my own and friends vehicles.

Dave / Believer45

So with that kind of resume you can bet that we are going to ask lots of questions of you.

Welcome over to OB.net Dave, I am really glad to see you here.

Mike

Believer45

Reaction score
So with that kind of resume you can bet that we are going to ask lots of questions of you.

Welcome over to OB.net Dave, I am really glad to see you here.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome, Mike. I am always looking for more sources of information on my truck and believe I have found another here. I have also recieved much information on the web concerning my truck and a lot of other topics as well. I appreciate the chance to give back a portion of the benefit I have gotten. I have a bit of information saved in MS Word format on repairs, modifications and such. If you (or anyone) needs something I have I am more than happy to eMail attachments out as long as that is OK with the site folks.

Glad to be aboard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726