Oil leak?

DBogo

Reaction score
ok heres how much oil my truck leaks overnight and was sitting all day today what do you think is the cause of this :confused: and do you think its a big deal

the dollar is for size reference and all the crap in the oil spot is not coolent it just rained and that is pollen stuck in the water

You must be registered for see images

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Can you see where the oil is dripping off the motor, any in the valley?

First thing that comes to mind even thought you don't have it listed as a mod would be a HX line, I tore an o-ring on mine when I installed it and the leak drove me nuts for about 3 weeks till I had a "Doh" moment. The oil was running down the vc lip and down the back of the motor and out thru the inspection cover on the tranny, not a drop in the valley, maddening let me tell ya.

Maybe a oil rail plug on the back or even the EBPV.

John

DBogo

Reaction score
well its dripping right off the oil drain plug on the bottom probably because its the lowest poing and i checked the valley and its dry and im not sure what the hx thing is can you explain

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
DBogo said:
well its dripping right off the oil drain plug on the bottom probably because its the lowest poing and i checked the valley and its dry and im not sure what the hx thing is can you explain

HX is a High Pressure Oil Crossover line, that connects the two oil rails to help with the back to back cylinder firing. It's not a standard option but an aftermarket mod.

Just for S&G's is the oil filter on tight? They tend to loosen up a bit over time. Also you may want to pull the inspection cover off the tranny and look to see if maybe the rear engine seal is dripping a little.

One more thing when's the last time you replaced the oil plug washer?

John

DBogo

Reaction score
well the fella i bought the truck from i have only had it a little over a month he changed the oil the day before i picked it up and i dont got the HX done i will try to tighten the oil filter tomorrow, does the auto have a tranny inspection cover except the one on the bottom in not sure what your going to see there and next oil change the plug washer is being replaced you can see a little oil dripping down the side of the tranny and going over the starter

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Just the cover on the bottom, you should be able to see up around the fly wheel and any oil coming from that vicinity.

John

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
DBogo said:
well the fella i bought the truck from i have only had it a little over a month he changed the oil the day before i picked it up and i dont got the HX done i will try to tighten the oil filter tomorrow, does the auto have a tranny inspection cover except the one on the bottom in not sure what your going to see there and next oil change the plug washer is being replaced you can see a little oil dripping down the side of the tranny and going over the starter

"you can see a little oil dripping down the side of the tranny and going over the starter" You have to have a leak for that to happen...it could be fuel from the weep hole of the pump, or oil from the EBPV actuator under the turbo. The oil, or fuel will puddle in the valley if in front it is most likely IPR, or HPOP, HP oil lines leaking, mid way is fuel filter, back is previously mentioned weep hole or turbo pedestal. Fuel will look like oil because all the volitals have evaporated out unless it is a bad leak. Check closer with a strong flash light....you may have to spray clean the valley first to see a leak if it is real messy in there.

Rick "COB" ;)

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I have one of those "mystery" leaks and finally figgerd' it out when I changed my water pump the other day....................

After I did the requisite start up and check for leaks I did a full tilt test drive ....popped the hood and while looking for coolant leaks noticed a strong smell of hot oil and saw a fine vapor and minor accumilation of oil on the right side rocker cover bolt.........

The oil mist is actually comming from the front wiring harness connector :eek: -cuss so now it appears that a V/C wiring harness is in order :mad:

Course I just can't just pull the cover and replace 1 wiring harness ;Really

with 210k mi if those covers need to come off, the glow plugs, secondary wiring harness's and hopefully some of Beans stage II's:smoke: are gonna go in ;Sweet
just need to convince the CFO.{read wife} :draw :Sly

DBogo

Reaction score
well the valley is definatly dry and it is definatly oil not dieseli got a state math exam today i will check it out when i get back from that

DBogo

Reaction score
do you guys think if i took some pics of the underneith that you could gimme some more help with it

DBogo

Reaction score

Last edited:

DBogo

Reaction score
jharvey said:
Just the cover on the bottom, you should be able to see up around the fly wheel and any oil coming from that vicinity.

John

ok i finally got around to taking that off its sitting in my driveway with it off right now i took it off and was expecting a conciderable amount of oil to come out i only got 1 very small drop my flywheel is bone dry im not sure what im looking for up there

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
if your rear main was leaking you'd know it as soon as you looked up there.
So we can probably rule that out ;Sweet

DBogo can you wipe down around the ICP (the sensor in the first pic) and get it good and clean, then fire it up and watch it, seems that the oil is coming from that area, also could be the IPR Nut (on back of the HPOP) is loose, common problem.

Get that area as clean and dry as you can and watch it, also watch your oil levels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online