Oil leak

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok, so I started my road trip on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning I noticed when I stopped that I smelt a some oil burning. I get out and go under the hood and the whole valley pan section is filled with oil, and its all over the ground. I cleaned it off the best I could and found a small plug with a 3/8 rachet head that was leaking from around the treads. its just a hollow plug . You can see right into the engine. I thread sealed the plug and put it back in but could still smell oil burning on inclines. I stopped at a carquest and got the right size fitting in a boss thread and downsized it to a 5/8 hose barb and just put a heater hose on it. My questions are. Is that a normal plug to just be hollow like that? Is it just used for an engine vent, or what is it used for? Since I added the other fittings I havent had an oil leak, just not sure of what I did to it was ok for it was designed for. Any suggestions. It was covered in crud and could only see the bubbles coming up when the pan was full of oil. Is what I am using an ok fix?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
What your describing sounds like the valley pan drain plug to me. The hole in it does not actually go into the engine. It enters a passage that drains out of the back side of the engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was this "plug" found way back behind the intake air horn.... If so thats required to be there and it holds down the valley pan. It does drain the pan and it does not look into the motor. What you probably have is a fuel leak from the return lines. Look for any wet injectors but... reinstall the valley pan drain plug with the hole thru it... Otherwise the valley pan will fill with fuel and fluids drowning the motor. It makes a real mess.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have a turbo on there, would bet the turbo oil return is leaking.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some possible sources for Oil in your Valley Pan are the I/P O-ring seal to the housing, the Turbo Oil supply line at the Turbo, and the gasket between the Turbo center section and the Turbo Oil Drain tube.
The "Hollow Plug" both secures and seals the Valley Pan. The Valley Pan has a copper gasket formed in it where the "Hollow Plug" goes through it into the block. The "Hollow Plug" has a flat face under the head that compresses the copper face seal similar to the way an Oil Drain Plug works.
The "Hollow Plug" also works as a drain for the Valley Pan. There is a passage through the block that exits under and behind the Intake Manifold just to the front of the Main Oil Galley where your Oil Supply Line for your Turbo originates. The fluids drain down the back of the block and to the Right side where they drip onto your Exhaust Crossover Pipe.
If the "Hollow Plug" is plugged solid, the dirt and grit will accumulate on the Valley Pan. If your Cowl Seal is dried and cracked it will eventually drain water directly into your Valley Pan. If your Turbo Oil Drain Grommet (just to the front of that hollow plug) is hard and dried out it will not seal and will allow the rain water to wash the grits from the Valley Pan into your Crankcase. The water will gravitate to the bottom and when you cold start the engine it will be lubricating with plain water on start-up, not to mention the grits will likely by-pass the filter at the same time.
Just ask me how I know. I have gorey pictures.