Oil leak with engine not running

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My truck sat for about a month while I was out of town, and when I took a look at the truck after I got back, I noticed a rather large oil spot underneath the engine. I thought this was noteworthy because I don't normally park the truck in this space (so none of this oil is old), and again, the truck sat here for maybe a minute with the engine running before being shut down for almost a full month.

So...I haven't had a chance to climb under the truck yet, but based on these pictures, does anyone have any idea on where the leak might be coming from? I'm not sure how high the oil level is in relation to the top lip of the oil pan, so I'm not sure if oil could be seeping out of there or one of the main seals, or if it might be coming from the oil pan plug, or if it might be coming from a crack in the oil pan :( BTW, this is in a carport space with the truck slightly nose-down...and, while I've known of an oil leak prior to this, I've had no idea where the leak was, and I usually don't lose more than a quart of oil in 1000 miles.

If anyone by chance has any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks!

Attachments

• Oil Leak 001.jpg
    Oil Leak 001.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Oil Leak 003.jpg
    Oil Leak 003.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 7
  • Oil Leak 004.jpg
    Oil Leak 004.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Oil Leak 005.jpg
    Oil Leak 005.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 7

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Looks like the oil is dripping in a couple differnt places. That would mean to me that it is happening on the top of the motor, and then spreading around up top, and dripping in different places.

Thats just what I'm seeing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought...but, with the engine not running, there shouldn't be very much oil in the top end of the engine to leak out, right? Or, if there was, it would leak enough that I'd be seeing puddles that big every time I parked the truck for more than a few hours...

Or, am I missing something?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That was my first thought...but, with the engine not running, there shouldn't be very much oil in the top end of the engine to leak out, right? Or, if there was, it would leak enough that I'd be seeing puddles that big every time I parked the truck for more than a few hours...

Or, am I missing something?

That makes sense as well....I really truly have no idea why it would do that. Crawl up under there and take a look.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should clean off the oil pan real well, then watch to see if it's coming from the front seal, the rear seal, or from a rust hole in the pan. Towcat found the pinhole in my oil pan. I didn't even notice it because it was so small. But it made a real big mess on the pavement. I had to drain the oil, clean the pan with solvent, and apply some JB Weld. It's been fixed for almost a year and still no leaks...at least from that spot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the only place that has oil in it is the oil cooler and filter. Yes, it can leak down over time and look just like this. Maybe its the cooler to block gaskets or o-rings. I really hope its just the filter. The rear header has 2 extra plugs that can leak too. One of them is against the block side and really hard to reach.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do You change Your own oil? bc it could also be the drain plug. Check the easy first and work Your way toward the main rear seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online