Oil in E4OD Wiring Harness?

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission was stuck in 1st gear when I got off the freeway yesterday. I didn't notice if the OD light was blinking or not. I didn't even know to look at that until I started researching today. I bought a code reader and its throwing code 92 which means a problem with shift solenoid 2. I checked the wiring harness and it looks good but there is transmission oil inside the wiring harness. Is this normal or a problem? It also has a Banks Transcommand module installed. However I don't have the bypass plug to try running without it. It has a 2013 date on it, so its still pretty new. Thanks.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil in wiring connector is not normal. The resident E4OD experts (FORDF250HDXLT and Trackspeeder) will probably see this and can give more experienced advice than I can. The seal on the solenoid pack connector inside the trans has failed allowing fluid into the connector. I am not sure if you can easily get at the seal to replace it after the solenoid pack is removed. You may be better off to just replace the solenoid pack. You could try cleaning out the connector on the outside of the trans for now and see if that helps temporarily. If you replace the solenoid pack, you will need a good "inch/pounds" torque wrench.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil in wiring connector is not normal. The resident E4OD experts (FORDF250HDXLT and Trackspeeder) will probably see this and can give more experienced advice than I can. The seal on the solenoid pack connector inside the trans has failed allowing fluid into the connector. I am not sure if you can easily get at the seal to replace it after the solenoid pack is removed. You may be better off to just replace the solenoid pack. You could try cleaning out the connector on the outside of the trans for now and see if that helps temporarily. If you replace the solenoid pack, you will need a good "inch/pounds" torque wrench.

right on brother.you nailed it.the seal down inside where the connector mounts to the pack failed.only replaceable during a reman of the pack.........unfortunately.

to add,warnose.the 89-94 solenoid packs are very easy to replace.no trans shop or trans removal required.
you can find new,used and reman online.for new,check prices at fordpartsgiant.com for used and reman check ebay.
to replace the pack,simply drop the trans pan....yeah messy,unhook the connector on the outside.unbolt the pack and wiggle while pulling to break the o-ring seal from around the connector/case hole and simply replace in reverse order.
for pics,you can see a pack removal in the tech articles here,in a thread created by me for an e40d shift kit.also youtube has vids.it's a very simple little job,though a bit messy.
tip; 4r100 trans pans come with drain plugs.they use the longer depth e4od filter.good time to upgrade pans if you'd like.they run around 40-50 bucks last i checked.save on the mess next time/fluid changes.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When reinstalling the solenoid pack. Torque all screws and nuts 80 to 100 inch pounds, starting in the center working out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726