oil dip stick BLEH

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my dip stick broke on me this afternoon... yay. Local ford garage says its obsolete, advance/carquest/napa cant get it. There is the local yards (but i know for fact they do not have any 7.3s or 6.9s)

Anyone know how i might locate a new one? Im going to call the pittsburgh area yards tomorrow, but aside from them i dont know where to get one!

Side note, put 320 miles on the bronco this weekend. 7.3 and ZF5 working like a charm. After it cooled down, checked the oil. it was down MAYBE 1/8 of a quart :)

And as my luck has it, after finding my motor uses very little oil, the dipstick breaks! Anyways, maybe someone has one laying around somewhere they can sell me for cheap :)

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you broke the stick or the tube? Ford sells the tube new for about 20 bucks. I bought one for my truck last year.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stick, it snapped right after the round area where it changes to the thin flat

My local dealership has the top half of the tube for 14 bucks, bottom half for 10, and said he can get me a *leak proof* piece to add at the bottom... but cant get the darn stick!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think most big block motors would have a similar stick. I'd just find one long enough, and drill two holes between full and minimum.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.... weld it... i did read a post on here that someone brazed one...

Side note, i do have a 460 sittin at the house with huge crack in the block that i use for weight in the winter, ill have to compare sizes!

Also have a couple 351 sticks... heck if nothing else i can trim my tube to make one of them work! Thanks for allowin me to think outside the box guys!

Add to the side... danzers, near blairsville has 2 6.9s *JY* i would assume they use the same stick? My only problem is going to be gettin my old stick out, it broke off in the tube/engine. Guess its back out with my inner fender so i have room to work! Thanks guys