Oil consumption, blowby condensor, valve seals and stuff....

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, recently my oil consumption was getting worse. To the tune of a quart in 250 miles. This engine's been overheated to the point of a melted piston, has over 300,000 on it, rebuilt at least twice, already has .030 over pistons in it, so I figured it wasn't long for this world. putting more money in it would be throwing good money after bad.
So, as a last ditch effort, I decided to just replace the valve stem seals since I noticed decelerating coming downhill, when I hit the go pedal again, it puffed blue real bad for 1/2 mile or so.
Made up a tool, pulled the covers, and went about changing the seals. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't get any noticeable movement in the valves side to side, so I'm assuming the guides aren't too badly worn. The old seals were definately tired, and had that old kind of shield on them, which were mostly disintegrated into little bits. The new seals look much more efficient with what appears to be several rings to seal against the valve stem instead of just one on the old one.

..here's a pic-old on the left new on the right..

Well, buttoned 'er all back up, did my spring oil change on it, and I've logged about 1500 miles since then, and today I checked and I'm down about 1 quart. :thumbsup: :D

Ok, we're gettin' there...

I also revisited my blowby condenser idea. Since this engine has what I consider high blowby, I disconnected the CDR valve(Stupid thing doesn't actually DO anything anyway. Plugged the valley pan hole.
I then routed 3/4" heater hose from a homemade adapter at the oil fill on the injector pump housing(much like the banks adapter) to run forward of the radiator to a section of 3/4" copper pipe that makes 3 turns snaked back and forth in front of the rad 6 ft length in total. At the end of the pipe, there is a T, with one arm dropping down into a collection jug, and the other with 3/4" heater hose back to the spot where the CDR was, at the back of the intake. So, 1500 miles on the clock, and surprise, that quart that was missing from the crankcase, shows up in the collection jug as 1/2 quart of oil!!

So, total oil consumption is actually only about 1/2 quart in 1500 miles. The intake looks just barely misted oily instead of the usual big puddle it used to have.

I once again will put in my .02 worth about the useless CDR valve.(Some people think it has some function in oil control!!) I believe that most of the oil consumption problems on our 6.9's can be traced back to valve seals/guides, and blowby from high compression and worn rings being routed directly back into the intake.

I've got a lot on my plate right now, but I'm still toying with the idea of putting another section on my condenser down underneath the set of pipes. It would esssentially be a canister(2ft. of 3" exhaust tubing) with an inlet, outlet, and loosely wrapped steel wool inside to condense/collect oil mist.

Any thoughts?

Zigg :)

sign_man

Reaction score
How long did it take you to replace the seals, and what type of tool did you make? Just a note, if you can feel any perceptable movement of the valve in the guide, the guides are way past worn out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zigg, I don't suppose you just HAPPENED to take pictures, so that you could do me an article on that valve seal replacement did you? I REALLY could use such an article here on this site. Great info as always! I've always maintained that a good bit of oil disappears in the CDR circuit.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
heck I'm interested in pics of the cdr re-route, condensor Idea.

I do something similiar with a hose going into a container with a hole in it.... it works tho is somewhat messy, I'd love to see your setup (I get the idea, moreso interested in the routing).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Zigg, I don't suppose you just HAPPENED to take pictures, so that you could do me an article on that valve seal replacement did you? I REALLY could use such an article here on this site. Great info as always! I've always maintained that a good bit of oil disappears in the CDR circuit.

I don't know if he did, but I did the valve stem seal bit a few weeks ago and took a ton of pictures. If I could just get off my backside and finish writing it up, I'll send it to you.

-----------Robert

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Uh, oh, sorry there big guy, but I didn't. I could fake a few since I still have my longblock sitting in my shop right now on an engine stand though. I'll take a pic of the tool I made this evening 'cause someone else wanted to see it, and maybe a couple pics of the "condenser".

I'm actually a bit surprised/amazed/impressed with how much oil condensed out of the thing in such short order, and considering how much my engine leaks too(it's like a harley, always leaves it's mark) the difference between condensate and oil missing out of the pan isn't much at all!

Zigg :)

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Zigg I would love to see the condensor setup you have. We should catch up for a coffee or something one day, since I am in Victoria for work 4 days a week.
~Brian

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zigg, a picture is a picture. Doesn't matter if it's on your engine or not. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online