Oil Burning -- A potentail easy fix

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7.3 has been seeing less miles over the last several years, and a lot of those have been short trips. And lately the oil burning has been about 1 qt per 1000 miles.

So I figured that maybe the rings were sticking -- And decided to try adding a couple pints of Amsoil engine flush (FLSH) then run the engine for about 4 hours (not driving, just idle and at 2000 RPM), then change oil.

The FLSH directions say to idle for 10-15 minutes, and I tried that before without any change in oil consumption. Since it's essentially a detergent, why not try giving it a lot more time to work on the rings! So far it's made a significant improvement. After 1250 miles the dipstick is only down 2 cross-hatch marks from full. I'll guesstimate 1/3 qt in 1250 miles (~1 qt per 3750 miles if the rate stays the same).

If anyone else tries this, please post in this thread regardless of how it works out. Maybe this procedure could help a lot of high mileage engines (not just our IDI's) with oil consumption...

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've heard of people using Marvel Mystery oil as a flush and then putting in a quart every oil change too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online