Oil additive

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's been awhile....

I was trying to remember the name of the oil additive that you can use to free stuck lifters and such. Can someone remind me please?

Thanks

Shades

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tightest clearance in the engine is the lifter, when you have noisy lifters it means you have dirty oil and cheap oil filter. try a better oil filter like a WIX 1734XE
That will clean up the dirty engine. Oil additive? :rotflmao

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lifter tapping after the car has been sitting for a month. Dirty is prolly the wrong word, as much as dry. Then again...the motor has 170k miles on it so I shouldn't be surprised. I use Wix filers and Mobil synthetic in everything, pretty sure it's not cheap oil or a cheap filter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At 170,000 miles you should not be having any issues with the engine. Thats an well broken in engine ready for more miles. I think the auto RX is a good idea but might try a quart of atf in the engine oil first. Its cheaper and a very high detergent oil.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lifter tapping after the car has been sitting for a month. Dirty is prolly the wrong word, as much as dry. Then again...the motor has 170k miles on it so I shouldn't be surprised. I use Wix filers and Mobil synthetic in everything, pretty sure it's not cheap oil or a cheap filter.
Lifters have the tightest clearance in the engine, when dirt enters this area it wears down on the lifter and it becomes a loose/dry lifter because the tight clearance is now loosy goosy and the lifter wont shut up cause it wont hold the same pressure anymore for the time needed.
Regular filters are poor quality as far as filtering performance, the industry/manufactures recommended filters are mostly 20/40 micron nominal and just wont protect engines, this is why the short drain interval is necessary.
But the big secret is most filter manufactures make a filter with better filtration performance but they are never advertised.
the WIX 1734XE is one of those filters, it may be 2x as expensive but why do they make it?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the diesel, it's my wife's explorer.
do lifters care if they are in motor cycles gas engines or diesel engines? No try using a Mobil1 oil filter they will clean up the engine fairly well because you can loosen up whatever is lodged in the engine with additives but once loose you wont catch them with a cheapy filter and even if you drain the oil the residual left over oil will still have the same size particles floating around contaminating the fresh oil you poured in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance