OBS clunking on right turns

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My 94 started making a clunking noise, but only hitting bumps and making right turns at the same time. The only thing I could see, was that the shocks are about rusted through.

The spring hangers look good, but the sound bugs the heck outta me..

Could it be the right shock making all that noise, or should I look somewhere else?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Could be a number of things.

Spring hanger bushings, tie rod end worn out, ball joint letting go, wheel bearing (maybe, doubtful), the shock you mentioned, track bar bushings, loose bolts (rivets) on the spring hangers or track bar brackets or anything in between.

Best to jack'r up, turn the wheels all the way to the right and use a pry bar to simulate bumps. Check EVERYTHING that shouldn't move, for movement. Could even be a loose U-bolt..best to be safe than sorry!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Could be a number of things.

Spring hanger bushings, tie rod end worn out, ball joint letting go, wheel bearing (maybe, doubtful), the shock you mentioned, track bar bushings, loose bolts (rivets) on the spring hangers or track bar brackets or anything in between.

Best to jack'r up, turn the wheels all the way to the right and use a pry bar to simulate bumps. Check EVERYTHING that shouldn't move, for movement. Could even be a loose U-bolt..best to be safe than sorry!

I guess I should have clarified... The clunking is coming from under the rear of the truck... You mentioned the track bar and that reminded me that there is a sway bar in the rear... I bet that's where it's coming from! I hope so...

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I got the same thing goin on up front only when I turn left. Definitely coming from the front end tho.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified... The clunking is coming from under the rear of the truck... You mentioned the track bar and that reminded me that there is a sway bar in the rear... I bet that's where it's coming from! I hope so...

LOL....DEFINITLY not the ball joints then lol.

It very well could be the sway bar bushings! For some reason my F250 don't have them, but I have one to put on. Do they make a lot of difference in handling?

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the front end and a 4x4, look at the short shafts. My 89 had a left front fail. Probably not your problem but just saying. :dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not the issue in your case Gary, but here is a tip for anyone who wants to try it... if you think your tie rod is rotating around on your, put a wire tie on the rod and observe the angle that the tail is pointing at. Make your turn, and as soon as it clunks, stop without turning the wheel. If the tail is not pointing the same way, you found a problem.

mudxtc

Reaction score
maybe a dumb question, what is "OBS"? if it is dumb, please feel free to take away my birthday :)

zpd307

Reaction score
rear sway bars make a big difference. my trucks always liked to wallow from side to side going down the road. also helped when turning into driveways and such. are you sure its not the spring bushings and bolts.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent