O/D light w/ video

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I hate to make another thread about this but I feel I did a fair share of searching.

Randomly gets OD light on off. Past two weeks its been VERY spastic and not repeatability.

codes came up 23 29 56

I know the trans was not too hot in my 1 mile drive and this is the first and last time i ever got this error (56)

When I got the truck it would hunt for a gear, shift hard, buck like a bronco (no pun intended) and be nasty to drive randomly, too. Well I threw parts at it. NEW VSS, TACH sender, TPS, PSOM, fluid drained. It was great all winter and probably 10-11 months.

I have checked TPS and set to 1.1 went away for a day. checked voltage seems ok.
ohmed the VSS, it was within about 100 ohm of target. not that far off.

THe psom was used but i took it out and looked for caps/thermistors that are shot but all looked good and now split.

At 230xxx mi I hope im not looking at a TC. It drives and shifts smooth still, just kicks out of OD and gives me a light. and then it will just back into it like nothing is wrong. It never gets super hot as I drive short distance to work.

My next steps are
-Try a new VSS because they are cheap.
-Then to start looking into the computer. It looks like its a ground issue or something. Any place these commonly rub through???

The windshield did leak but I recently put some urethane and with the recent rains it was dry.

Video of random strobe light. very random.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i pulled the computer for the trans tonight. a little surface rust so there was water in the area. but internally looked ok. Need some tiny sockets to really open it up. It is currently my daily so I have limited time to pull and reassemble. VSS ohmed at 1800.

Not sure what else to look for. I hate to throw new parts at new parts.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those flashes (more of a steady ON then several flickers) are not the normal type of flashes associated with codes.Code flashes are very steady and with even ON/OFF blinks.That there is more of a short.
Start here:
E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More

My guess is,your going to see something like this:

2-jpg.49332

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe the neutral switch? I had to redo mine when I put a new one on because it had an updated connector. I could have screwed up i guess but it is prob ok.

Disregard. I see where it is in your link. sorry.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pulled the plug and mutilated the hell out of the housing. all tabs busted. cool. well the wires looked fine overall. there was two that had a little wire showing but it was from me breaking the plastic around it I think. I brought it to a ford dealer to see what they wanted to change it and they said it looks like it would still be functional and my problem may be the solenoid. The parts lookup was $330. well I didnt realize there was a year cutoff they changed them slightly and they dont mix. rock auto is 360. ebay reman is 97 i may go that route, however, it still shifts smooth??? its just flashing and jumping randomly. could I do a line pressure test to verify if its TC or solenoid and not wire?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Code 29 and 56 are a sign of a failing solenoid pack.

If you break a connector replace it. Solenoid pack connectors can be found at any good parts store. If you broke the transmission range sensor get a new one. It will come with a new connector in the package.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online