Nozzle availability

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a few options for nozzles, one being what dcp and pensacola use which is a chinese duplicate of BB code injectors. You can also still get new and reman stanadyne nozzles for more cost than the chinese nozzles, with the new stanadynes being increasingly inconsistent out of the box and requiring some hand work to bring them up to par. I use new stanadyne nozzles on my stock replacement injectors, and reman extruded nozzles for my stage ones.

The market cornering comes from stanadyne and from suppliers not wanting to admit they are using Chinese nozzles. Stanadyne is very hardcore on keeping their parts, pricing, supply and specs a secret. They don’t want to work with you unless you pay a significant amount of money to buy their specific tooling and equipment to become and maintain their certification. Furthermore a certified shop can be stripped of their certification just by sharing info with another non certified shop, even if it’s just sharing an allowable spec for injector pop pressures. It’s a modern monopoly in a huge portion of the fuel market, so that’s why there’s little to no public info on a lot of the stanadyne parts.

Thanks for your insight, Thewespaul. It's a cornered market commensurate with the times I suppose. I read online that Stanadyne has it's own facility in China and perhaps it is like other over-seas manufacturing in that profitability grows in the absence of adequate labour and environment regulations in conjunction with cheap, global transportation. Imagine how painful it is for a company to have to support obsolete equipment because we haven't had to retire it yet. It's an impoverishing situation that probably has a better approach if the goal is to support old equipment. May be no better one for industrial well-being.

"Product of Italy" is prominently displayed on the Stanadyne injector box but I wonder what percentage of the product is Italian and what other areas there is some creativity. I don't imagine it's a pleasure to work under the vendor regime. It bugs me more that they would make efforts to conceal this then it does to have them made in China. In Shenzen, China, a manufacturing center, you can buy 100 of something but not just one or two. But if Stanadyne owns the facility supplying nozzle (and pintles) it's not a situation where you can intervene in the supply chain with a bulk buy.

I don't doubt you're seeing a decline in quality. That new out of box injector when pop tested had a nice spray 10-15 degree off-vertical. I guess I'll keep playing with my injector sets and count myself lucky not to have to go shopping right now.

Reactions: dgr

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if dcp has one supplier for all of their injectors, but it doesn't matter which engine, they all have a extremely high failure rate. (Idi, cummins, psd, dmax, etc)
I'm sure you already know, but it's not as simple as just swapping a new nozzle to regain performance. The pintle could be worn, need to pop test them and match them as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It'd be interesting to know just where the nozzles where coming from it it were a more transparent situation.

Yes, I was able to come up with what I believe are acceptable (in my amateur opinion) injectors by way of mixing and matching d code nozzles and pintles and shims, and using a few massaging tricks. It may be the least of the smoking trouble I'm having tho.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the boxes the new stanadyne injectors come in, this was a batch I bought built last year in November. They do not say where they are made any longer.
You must be registered for see images attach

This discussion brings up something interesting I’ve been considering for awhile that I would like to hear y’all’s thoughts on...

Realistically, the only reason I use the new stanadyne parts in the stock replacements is because so many people think the new=good, when in reality the reman nozzles using the older materials are ten fold more consistent than the new nozzles out of the box, and I’m having to go in by hand and relap each nozzle to pintle on the new injectors to finish stanadyne’s job just to bring the new parts up to standard with what I’m getting from the remanufactured nozzles in the stage ones, which is the same finishing process we do to the remans to clean them up after EDM machining, but I’m paying more for the new parts, and spending an hour or two in labor getting them right. Were the remans I can send out to an American company for remanufacturing the pintle and nozzles, assemble with new USA made springs, and cost $75-100 less per set depending on how many I do at a time. With the extrusion work on the stage ones it adds another $100 a set, but if I used the same reman parts in the stock replacements I could sell them at $350 shipped for a set, versus the $425 I’m currently selling them at using the new stanadyne parts.
So my question to the Oilburners, would you rather be spending the extra money for the peace of mind of knowing the injectors are new and the appropriate hand work is being done to make sure they fire evenly, or would you rather have a lower price on the stock injectors with reman parts? I’ve considered selling two tiers of stock injectors, one with reman parts the other with new parts, but it would double the amount of inventory I would need to keep and for the volume I’m doing I don’t think it would be as feasible. Eventually the stanadyne parts will no longer be available, I plan to go to all reman parts before dipping into the Chinese nozzles, but we haven’t gotten there yet.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP may want to purchase from DCP here in Memphis

OP here. If I wanted to purchase those, may be the thing to do, at 10 bucks apiece, is to buy plenty of extras and expect to have to do some work, counting on a certain amount of luck.

My claims are that a guy should be able to buy quality nozzles oneself and that vendors shouldn't be hiding the origins of the equipment.

Thewespaul gave us an appreciation of why this differs for our rigs when compared to some other diesel injection manufacturers. And him being transparent about his products inspires confidence.

I gather it may be possible for my local Stanadyne vendor to acquire nozzles if he wanted to. he may rather sell me new, in the box, Stanadyne d code injectors. But that box has no seal. It has a stick-on label part number. The injector inside is in a folded over plastic bag.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't care if they're new or used as long as they meet spec, work properly, and last. I'd take used refurb parts that are GOOD as opposed to new without question.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
"Product of Italy" is prominently displayed on the Stanadyne injector box but I wonder what percentage of the product is Italian and what other areas there is some creativity.
Maybe it's only the box that was made in Italy? Who knows these days?cookoo

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the boxes the new stanadyne injectors come in, this was a batch I bought built last year in November. They do not say where they are made any longer.

This discussion brings up something interesting I’ve been considering for awhile that I would like to hear y’all’s thoughts on...

Realistically, the only reason I use the new stanadyne parts in the stock replacements is because so many people think the new=good, when in reality the reman nozzles using the older materials are ten fold more consistent than the new nozzles out of the box, and I’m having to go in by hand and relap each nozzle to pintle on the new injectors to finish stanadyne’s job just to bring the new parts up to standard with what I’m getting from the remanufactured nozzles in the stage ones, which is the same finishing process we do to the remans to clean them up after EDM machining, but I’m paying more for the new parts, and spending an hour or two in labor getting them right. Were the remans I can send out to an American company for remanufacturing the pintle and nozzles, assemble with new USA made springs, and cost $75-100 less per set depending on how many I do at a time. With the extrusion work on the stage ones it adds another $100 a set, but if I used the same reman parts in the stock replacements I could sell them at $350 shipped for a set, versus the $425 I’m currently selling them at using the new stanadyne parts.
So my question to the Oilburners, would you rather be spending the extra money for the peace of mind of knowing the injectors are new and the appropriate hand work is being done to make sure they fire evenly, or would you rather have a lower price on the stock injectors with reman parts? I’ve considered selling two tiers of stock injectors, one with reman parts the other with new parts, but it would double the amount of inventory I would need to keep and for the volume I’m doing I don’t think it would be as feasible. Eventually the stanadyne parts will no longer be available, I plan to go to all reman parts before dipping into the Chinese nozzles, but we haven’t gotten there yet.
Personally I would just trust your decision and products. You know more about them than I (most of us) do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like new because I have no frame of reference. What's the wear item in these? I don't mind spending an extra $10 an injector if the likelihood is they're going to last longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online