Not diesel related but mechanicly very interesting

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought it was neat these guys spend so much time and probably a big bag of money building small working engines that just sit there and run .
Just to say it can be done I guess? I'd like to see how and what the cranks and stuff are made of I'd imagine they are 2 stroke Duno.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I've seen some on display places before, fairs and whatnot, but not running. Had the perception that they would sound like a small two stroke or a four banger. Definitely have a meaty rumble to them!
spend so much time and probably a big bag of money
How many of those parts do you think they don't have to fab??? :eek:
James

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Fred Hemer said:
I just thought it was neat these guys spend so much time and probably a big bag of money building small working engines that just sit there and run .
Just to say it can be done I guess? I'd like to see how and what the cranks and stuff are made of I'd imagine they are 2 stroke Duno.

Actually,they sell these things.A ready to run mounted on a nice wooden base with fuel tank V twin is just over $2K.The V8 is actually a full blown Overhead Valve engine with roller rockers.These are full blown V8s.Block,Heads,crank,Cam,2piece rods,piston with rings,2 valves per cylinder,spark plug,aluminum valve cover,etc.But,they only sell rough castings in aluminum for the block and heads.Even though it shouldn't be too hard to machine since the Cylinder Core holes are there and they come with drawings.With the right milling machine you could easily bore out the mains and Bores,Face the deck,face the head and cut the chambers.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have something in York every year called Cabin Fever Expo, and it is a machinist hobby show. Very impressive pieces of work to be seen there. It's a real art, and some of these guys have as much time into one engine, as I have in my model railroad.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
It's a real art, and some of these guys have as much time into one engine, as I have in my model railroad.

pictures?????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man i would love to do something like that.im into model railroads and nitro R/C.i had barely enough room for a 4x4 sheet of plywood for the train under the christmas tree ;Poke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726