Not a good sign...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 87 250 w/ 6.9, c6 4wd. I was told that the head gaskets were replaced, then no start... Diesel shop told this guy the timing was off. So the guy I got it from, got it from a friend that did all this "work" and couldnt get it to start. So heres how my day went...

Checked the oil, it was milky and way over full, triet to put the dip stick back in but it wouldnt go. Pulled the tube out, straightend out the "kink" put it back in, and some how broke off the dipstick.-cuss

Put 2 batteries I have for spares in to try to start it, after cleaning all the conections, it still cranks slow so I put the charger on it. 10 min later I see some smoke, went to take the clamps off... BOOM! Blew 1 battery apart. cookoo

Later went to try again, found a box of 8 AC glowplugs under the seat. 6 are used Bosh ones and 2 are brand new AC's. Not good... So I decide to pull a GP and check comp, since it was "woofing" out the intake while it cranked over, Slowly too. (with good batteries)
So #2 GP wont come out or 4 or 6 :mad: Finally got #2 out anf the tip was swelled up. I dint even try any others at this point I figure some idiot has at least: Cooked the starter from crankin the hell outta it, fried all 6 brand new JUNK GP's and a driver side cylinder has probibly swallowed one of the GP tips.

But at least it has "new" head gaskets! LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not a very good sign. You might be pulling the heads to get those tips out...if it was me though, I think I would fix what you know is bad and see if it has that telltale knock of broken gp tips being ingested before I did anything that drastic. I think it usually is a bad relay or advanced timing that takes out the GPs. AC's are actually known to be pretty decent... autolites=crap champs=crap.... But I still agree these trucks should have Beru or Delphi plugs in most cases.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The milky oil, way over full cannot be a good thing.
Don't you just love trying fix something that someone else messed up?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. I'd change the oil before I did anything.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man-o-man. That certainly doesn't sound good. My experience with "milky" oil has been secondary to water/coolant contamination. Plus, with the level being too high, there might be a bit of water/coolant in the bottom of the oil pan!:eek: They might not have done such a good job with the head gasket either.:puke: Now, this is just my opinion, (and you know what they say about opinions) but I would pull the motor and rebuild it. If there is water in the oil, the bearings (crank/con-rod) will be crap. Plus, you may at a minimum, need to remove the heads to get the glowplugs out.

Sorry man, but working on these is half the fun (at least for me).cookoo cookoo cookoo

Heath

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at this point I have no intention of fixing this. Its a parts truck thats probibly worth as much in scrap alone as what I paid for it. I know someone that needs some body parts, so the engine is gonna be torn down to see if its rebuildible. Looking at it closer I dont know if the headgaskets were changed or not. If they were, the valley pan and headbolts were reused. There is alot of orange RTV on the waterpump and valve cover gaskets.
Oh yeah, its been sittin outside with no air filter for over a year! I'm supprised it even turned over!
But at least I have a doner for my next prodject that I'll probibly make money off of in the end so its not a total loss.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there ya go...the open intake let in water and there's where your milky oil is from. I think the water will have settled on the bottom of the an and when you drain the oil it will be pure H20 at first, then a milky emulsion, then oil.. You could probably run it like that, just drain and refill with fresh. But since you have planned to use the block as a project or core and take it out, might as well put in a set of new bearings or instruct the future owner that they might wish to. At least drop the pan and have a peek. There are a lot of parts you can sell on that truck. Not crazy about my C6 but at least they are tough and dependable....except for that stupid VRV-cuss Lots of scrap metal...help out a buddy with body parts, useable C6, lots of little parts....make a few bucks and play with a diesel... Good in my book:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online