Non turbo idi hood stack

887.3DirtyD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone sorta new here. I was tinkering with the idea of a hoodstack on my 7.3. I all ready no about the leagality as my neighbor has one on his psd. As he said as long as u drive reasonable you will be alright. My question is has anyone done it to a non turbo? I was thinking a custom y pipe as to where it comes up instead of back as normal. I have good welding/fabrication skills so that's not a big problem. Thank and any help is appriciated.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Why not use a turbo setup? Use the Up pipe from a turbo kit and then all you have to go is about another 18 inches till you go through the hood.

To be honest I dont know how I got away with a natural straight piped engine. When you got on the throttle my dead grandmother could hear the cackle.

Silentnoise

Reaction score
I don't know how loud you like your truck, mine is also non turbo mine is straight piped till about half the bed and then goes to a turndown... Let me tell you I am on my way to pick up a muffler tommarow its crazy loud when you get on the throttle. If you love the sound of a wide open derby truck haha go for it! hahah

887.3DirtyD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea mines straight piped with 3 in and it sounds like a big block gasser at wot. Possibly couldn't run a small muffler just so I can say I have one lol

Wood

Reaction score
lol insanely loud. you can get away with a hood stack on a turbo setup because the turbo acts as a muffler.

i still dont see with the infatuation with ANY kind of stack no offense though, to each their own...

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a turbo idi and an n/a idi. Both straight piped. Natural is cool from the cab but loud and a annoying from outside