No Start With Key

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey all, this morning I went and cranked the IDI everything was fine and went and got something from the post office and came home.

Few hours later it was time to go to work, I went to crank and nothing. There was some ticking and clicking for a second and it stopped. I popped hood and started with solenoid, fired right up.

What are some things that would lead to this after just working?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Got to work and shut it down, re cranked with key... Weird...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key mechanism itself can sometimes malfunction. It's happened to me. Just gotta wiggle the key a bit and often it'll work.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
The key mechanism itself can sometimes malfunction. It's happened to me. Just gotta wiggle the key a bit and often it'll work.
I tried what seemed like 50 times lol, did every wiggle I could think of, also after the WTS light went out there was a lot of clicking, now there is just 1 click after it goes out, just like before.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The glow plugs clicking a lot is actually normal. It cools them off slower allowing better emissions at startup. Usually only does this when the engine is cold.

Perhaps your transmission range sensor is a little off if you have an auto and it need to be set in park better. or the clutch switch?

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
The glow plugs clicking a lot is actually normal. It cools them off slower allowing better emissions at startup. Usually only does this when the engine is cold.

Perhaps your transmission range sensor is a little off if you have an auto and it need to be set in park better. or the clutch switch?
Possibly the park thing, didn't think of that, will check that out if it happens again.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
The key moves a rod that goes down the steering column to a box that does all the acc/crank stuff. It likes to break or start not working part # 83280 at advance auto
Just did mine, starts now, but key is stupid hard to turn, its just going to bend that deal again. got a junk yard column that im going to put in
Does your steering wheel have a lot of wiggle to it? Ive heard thats kinda what starts it
Good luck!
At least we can hot wire at solenoid!

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
The key moves a rod that goes down the steering column to a box that does all the acc/crank stuff. It likes to break or start not working part # 83280 at advance auto
Just did mine, starts now, but key is stupid hard to turn, its just going to bend that deal again. got a junk yard column that im going to put in
Does your steering wheel have a lot of wiggle to it? Ive heard thats kinda what starts it
Good luck!
At least we can hot wire at solenoid!

No, steering wheel is pretty solid other than the deadzone when driving but that's in all older fords. Sometimes the key cylinder gets stuck to where I can't turn it and I have to turn the wheel to free it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.