No start problems, long list of symptoms

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the block heater?

Will fuel come out the schrader valve with the engine running?

You are correct about that connector, it gives the signal to advance the timing slightly and bump up the idle when cold. It would help it start up when cold, but it should still at least try to start with it disconnected.

npe3484

Reaction score
Did you try the block heater?

Will fuel come out the schrader valve with the engine running?

You are correct about that connector, it gives the signal to advance the timing slightly and bump up the idle when cold. It would help it start up when cold, but it should still at least try to start with it disconnected.

I didn't use the block heater today because it was 65 degrees outside.

Yes, fuel does come out of the valve when the engine is running.

I found 2 glow plugs disconnected while checking over the engine bay cookoo. Whoever had this truck last really didn't know what they were doing apparently.

I also found a small leak around one of the injector caps. So I think I'm going to replace all the return line stuff. Hopefully that will help out some.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use the block heater today because it was 65 degrees outside.

Yes, fuel does come out of the valve when the engine is running.

I found 2 glow plugs disconnected while checking over the engine bay cookoo. Whoever had this truck last really didn't know what they were doing apparently.

I also found a small leak around one of the injector caps. So I think I'm going to replace all the return line stuff. Hopefully that will help out some.

The reason why I suggested the block heater is because a healthy IDI will fire instantly when warm from the heater even if no glow plugs are used. I have done this even at below freezing temps with my engine, so its all the more true in your situation. This would have ruled out the fuel system as being a problem, without having to use starter fluid. The good news is that your glow plugs were probably not on so the chance for damage was lower.

If you have 2 or more glow plugs that are either burned out or not connected, the glow plug controller will not cycle the glow plugs at all. Are you able to restore the connections and see if the glow plugs will come on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online