No start diagnosis

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely you disturbed one or more of your return line caps while trying to diagnose your glow plug problems. The return line system is robust and works fine PROVIDED that once you have them installed properly, that you never look at them with so much as a hairy eyeball again! Even THINKING that they might leak, will cause a leak. So your wiggling things around in there definitely screwed you. Get a fresh return line kit and you will be fine.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely you disturbed one or more of your return line caps while trying to diagnose your glow plug problems. The return line system is robust and works fine PROVIDED that once you have them installed properly, that you never look at them with so much as a hairy eyeball again! Even THINKING that they might leak, will cause a leak. So your wiggling things around in there definitely screwed you. Get a fresh return line kit and you will be fine.

And a leak in the return will cause a hard start, i've heard some guys say yes and some say not realy... I also heard a return leak will cause it to start and then shutt off, mine stays running ounce it starts idles a bit rough for 5 secounds at first and smokes a bit white for first 10 secounds before clearing up..

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Snugged up the fuel filter, when i put in the 911 i dont think i had it tight enough...got another 2 turns with the filter pliers. I also put some jb weld on one of the ports on the filter head i put a set screw in after i tighened it up 3 full turns. Hopefully that will stop the exessive hard starts until i get it in the garage for some maintaince.

Thankfully i have 100 extra return line o-rings and an extra return line set. Ill replace everything but keep the old ones as spares.

Hope it doesnt give me a fit tomorrow i need to haul some scrap to the yard and i would like to drive it lol. Having two trucks and none to drive really sucks.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Semi good news to report. Temp was 22* and wasnt ran in three days. After tightening up the fuel filter and tightening up the set screw/JB welding the vacuum sensor port i am now back to my "normal" starting it seems. This morning it took about 3-4 seconds to get it running, but it didnt fully start because the tumbler on my truck is VERY hard to turn when its below freezing. So i had it kickin over and it was just begining to run when my hand slipped off the tumbler and it shut down. Next try fired right up.

Now to finger out the tumblers problem. Tomorrow i will try again, temps should be high teens.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted, i got a new gp harness, gp controller and more new Olives/O-rings coming from russ... Ounce i install all that it should start as it should hopfully..

corliss010492

Reaction score
i need help with a glow plug problem, my wait to start light does not come on. i have replaced all the glow plugs, controller, and all the wires from the glow plugs to the controller are good. the light always has come on and then one day it didnt come on and i let it sit and went to work, when i came home the light came on and worked for a while. it did this another time also too. then one day the light stopped coming on. i messed with the glow plug controller and i had power from the battery, ignition and a good ground. i took a screw driver and jumped the batter power to the glow plugs and the relay switched and then the wait to start light work for a couple days. then i had the same problem and i replaced the controller and it worked for about a week and now the light doesnt come on at all now