no power to on position

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys a problem sprung up today. I replaced the ground cable on the driver side battery, drove the truck, checked the cable again and everything was ok. Now when I turn the key to on or start I have no power and the gauge reads no power also. I pull started my truck today and the gauge read 14.5 volts. Turned the truck off and what happens? No power again as if the alternator wasn't charging that whole time I drove it. Any ideas?:dunno

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys a problem sprung up today. I replaced the ground cable on the driver side battery, drove the truck, checked the cable again and everything was ok. Now when I turn the key to on or start I have no power and the gauge reads no power also. I pull started my truck today and the gauge read 14.5 volts. Turned the truck off and what happens? No power again as if the alternator wasn't charging that whole time I drove it. Any ideas?:dunno

Also forgot to say I checked the voltage while it was running and it was reading 14 volts.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Weird. Triple check ALL battery cables. Especially at the solenoid on the passenger side fender. Then have someone else check your work, then double check their work!
Definitely a cable problem.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "no power" does that mean the domelight doesn't work, the headlights do not work etc? Or it will just not crank over and you do have some power here and there?

If it will not crank but you do have some power to the truck, I would try jumping the starter solenoid that is mounted on the pass side fender. Take a small wire and jump the large terminal that goes to the battery + to the small terminal that has the red/blue wire. MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL BEFORE YOU DO THIS. If it cranks, then I suspect a neutral safety switch or clutch switch problem, or possibly a ignition switch, column problem.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the shop manual out and was working on it this morning and found out that it was the relay on the firewall. So I replaced it and it made things worse. I turn the key to the on position and nothing on the dash comes on, like I have no battery power. The headlights and everything on the engine works (example the on/off switch on the injection pump comes on). None of my gauges work, my radio stays off, and no dome light. When I turn it to the start position my gauges go hay wire. My temp spikes, my tach goes backwards to the stop,(I think there is a stop for the tach) and no battery reading from the voltmeter. My buddy says it might be grounding out in the column. Thats as good as a description I can give.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There is a way to sort of test it. But I don't know off hand how. All I remember is something to do with jumping terminal F.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regulator only controls the alternator. The alternator is not doing anything if the engine is not running. I agree with the other poster, it sounds like you have some wires wrong on the solenoid you replaced. There are some smaller wires over there that power the whole truck. Look for some yellow wires, they are usually the ones that power the electrics of the truck.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't crossed any wires I zip tied them on one side and zip tied the other side. No crossed wires or any wires left off.