No power steering

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My truck is leaking power steering fluid everywhere. I loosened up that one bolt and took the lock washer and blot of the one in the back. What I’m wondering is if there is suppose to be that gap where you can see that gear and how to fix it? I’ve been fooling with it for 3hrs now and I’m getting no where. It just randomly started leaking from that general area. Thank you

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gap is normal. There are seals inside the steering box that have failed. The steering box has to come out and get disassembled in order to replace them. Most people just swap out for a rebuilt one. You will need a pitman arm puller to remove it. There are only two brands that are usually recommended red head and blue top. All the parts store ones are a crap shoot at best.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's normal. I had to put one on a couple years ago that only lasted about 2 years. The current one is hanging in there but sometimes I ever so slightly feel a hickup in my steering that makes me think that I'll be changing the steering gear again.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your picture it looks like the bottom shaft seal is leaking, running down the pitman arm and dripping off the tie rod end. Look on top and sides of steering box and be sure it’s not originating higher up.

WhistlinDiesel

Reaction score
I finally got done replacing the steering box. Do I have to bleed the system? If so how do I do it? Also does anyone know roughly how much steering fluid it should take?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should take 2-3 quarts, use ATF not power steering fluid.

I borrowed this from another post.

1- Hook everything up
2- Fill with fluid
3- Jack up front of truck off of ground (Both front wheels)
4- Disconnect or Disable coil (So Truck CANNOT start)
5- Turn Steering wheel lock to lock about 5 to 10 times
6- Top off Fluid
7- Repeat Step 5
8- Repeat Step 6
9- Crank engine over (Ignition Disabled) and turn steering lock to lock 5 to 10 times
10- Repeat Step 6
11- Repeat Step 9
12- Repeat Step 6
13- Enable Ignition
14- Start Truck and turn Lock to Lock 5-10 times
15- Turn off Truck
16- Repeat Step 6
17- Repeat Step 14
18- Repeat Step 15
19- Repeat Step 6
20- Let Truck Down off of Jacks or jack Stands
21- Repeat Step 14
22- Steering should work just fine, have all the air bled out and have a quiet pump to boot!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online