No oil pressure

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Alright bad oil change, had too many guys workin on one truck. Anyway it looks like my truck is about a quart overfull, 10 quarts of 15-40 and one quart of Lucas. I have zero oil pressure at idle, or about 1psi but it isnt a whole lot. I had 15 or so at idle before the oil change. Could being overfull cause low oil pressure? As soon as I bring the rpm up I have normal pressure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No problems. Where are you getting these pressure numbers and did you use a differant type oil this change??? Usually we don't pay any attention to the factory dash gauge. All it tells you is that you have something for pressure... Nothing more. Mine will raise and drop with rpm up around 2200 traveling at 80 + mph... My Isspro is telling me whats really going on and its up around 55 lbs... But just receintly that electric gauge has started to act up. Sometimes its 80 + lbs and other times its 25 to 45... If I hold the rpm steady it will show pressure. Then add some throttle and it drops like a rock... This is the thrid Isspro electric oil pressure gauge to do this. Problem is this time its just past the warranty period... Time to use a differant manufactor...

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I have a manual gauge, cheapie Autozone but manual

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Over full shouldnt cause that, and look for leaks in your gauge/line and i would even buy another gauge and make sure that ones not lying to you,
Mine holds around 12-15 warm idle and about 40 going down the road,
I run a Fl-1995 Motorcraft filter(psd filter) and it takes 3 gallons to fill mine up

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
if it's a mechanical gauge, it's possible that the tubing siphoned out when the oil was draining and when you fired it up you got a nice big air bubble in the tubing. Air compresses and gives a false reading and would make it look low.
Do you still; have the factory gauge attached? if so your warning light would be blaring red at you if the pressure dripped below 7 psi

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try another oil filter. It never happened to me, but I saw somebody take the shrink wrap off a filter, and then stuff the plastic in the big hole. ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner