No fuel to low pressure pump

Ethan Turner

Reaction score
I have no fuel getting to my low pressure pump. I poured 4 gals into each tank to be sure there was some in there. The pump is sucking and blowing. Is there a way to test the sending unit and selector valve?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is to put a clean rubber hose on the metal line, before the lift pump... And use that to blow backwards into the tank.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tanks? If less than 1/4 tank.... the shower head pickups may have fallen off the sending units. Only way to know is either fill the tanks past 1/4 and see if it picks up fuel then, or just pull the sending units and see for yourself.

If the senders are fine, obstruction somewhere in the lines is my next guess. The tank selector valve can fail, but it usually is just stuck on one tank and not blocking fuel flow all together.

Heath

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tank selector valve can fail, but it usually is just stuck on one tank and not blocking fuel flow all together.

Although it's not a typical method of failure, I did have it happen to me so certainly don't rule it out! Mine wasn't completely blocked, but with a good prime in the fuel system I could run for about 5 seconds before it would stall. Waited a little bit then I could go another 5 seconds. As long as I waited it would always fire right up quick. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online