1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No fuel to low pressure pump

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Ethan Turner, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Ethan Turner

Ethan Turner Registered User

I have no fuel getting to my low pressure pump. I poured 4 gals into each tank to be sure there was some in there. The pump is sucking and blowing. Is there a way to test the sending unit and selector valve?

2. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

First thing I'd do is to put a clean rubber hose on the metal line, before the lift pump... And use that to blow backwards into the tank.

3. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

How much fuel is in the tanks? If less than 1/4 tank.... the shower head pickups may have fallen off the sending units. Only way to know is either fill the tanks past 1/4 and see if it picks up fuel then, or just pull the sending units and see for yourself.

If the senders are fine, obstruction somewhere in the lines is my next guess. The tank selector valve can fail, but it usually is just stuck on one tank and not blocking fuel flow all together.

Heath

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    riphip likes this.
  4. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Although it's not a typical method of failure, I did have it happen to me so certainly don't rule it out! Mine wasn't completely blocked, but with a good prime in the fuel system I could run for about 5 seconds before it would stall. Waited a little bit then I could go another 5 seconds. As long as I waited it would always fire right up quick. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.