No Crank

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished putting in the engine and rebuilt C-6 and I can't get the starter to crank over? It was working when I took the truck apart 1 1/2 years ago. All the starter will do is click. I have 2 new batteries in the truck that I let charge overnight, all electrical connections have been cleaned up when I put the engine back in so I should not have any ground issues.

One thing I noticed I'm not sure about is the starter gear does not return all the was and it stays engaged in the ring gear about a 1/8" is this normal?

I even turned the engine over a bit with a screw driver since the inspection cover is off but still I only get a click down at the starter motor.

just a burnt out starter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be just that but... It could also be the starter mounted solenoid. When I installed my build engine all I got was a click from the starter tooo. I found I had not connected the battery cable from the batteries to the starter... I custom made my cables with lug ends soldered on and the cable to the starter was way down low... Couldn't really see it... I reseachered this for some time till I found the cable was not connected to the batteries..... It was connected down at the starter.... Funny how you miss things sometimes...:sly

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
burnt starter or solenoid if its clicking on the fenderwell solenoid then its the solenoid but if its just starter clicking and not even jumping to the solenoid it would be a wiring fault to the solenoid or just a bad starter.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the starter is getting power becaues it give a good click when you have your head down there and get someone to hit the key.

Is it normal that the starter teeth don't pull all the wat out of the ring gear?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... The starter gear should pull out of the flywheel ring gear completey... Otherwise the starter will continue to turn even though the power is off to it... That will melt the starter too.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my starter made just a click I replaced it under warranty. Now of course they had to test the bad one and when they did it turned very slowly and was ******* the amp draw gauge on their tester.

Replace the starter and you will be good to go.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gambled and put in a new gear reduction starter and it turns over great. I was in the middle of setting the IP timing and I turned of the truck and noticed a large puddle and coolant forming on the floor. It looked like it was coming from the thermostat housing area. So after removing all of the accessory and brackets I found the frost plug was leaking. Soon as I touched it with a screw driver it started to leak a lot more.

Do you need a special driver for the frost plugs in the end of the heads or are they just the standard type?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The plugs in the heads are differant from whats in the block... The block has a concave type plug that requires a special driver to install... The head cup type can be installed with a socket used as a punch. Just find the socket that fits inside the cup the best. Then drive it in.... Did a shop repair the heads or did a plug just start leaking... They will rust out id the antifreeze isn't kept up. The oem block plugs are stainless steel and wont rust out...