NO 4WD????

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, well its snowing again here in Michigan what a surprise, spent a good part of the day repairing a corroded wire on the truck causing some slow cranking issues in the snow and cold weather so i got that fixed and thought i wanted to drive the truck as it sat all weekend and i was feeling good getting that accomplished so i took the truck to the store to get some baby supplies on the way back got stuck in some snow, went to put it in 4wd and got nothing :mad:, only 2wd was working, pissed me off because a week ago it worked like a dream luckily got it out by rocking the truck back and fourth and a little pushing, so i am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, checked the linkage and everything there is ok, i haven't checked to see if the front drive shaft is spinning yet because its till snowing like crazy and its dark and cold, no noise when shifting no clunking or anything, shifts like it normally would just not getting 4wd, should also add that i am not getting 4lo either, so i am thinking something inside the transfer case is the cause, what do you all think

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have low range at all? if you have low 2wd then it will be more likely a front end issue

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, do you have MANUAL locking hubs and are they functioning correctly? Where they in the LOCK position...wouldnt be first time someone forgot!

If auto hubs those could be the issue. Get some real hubs on that puppy ifn you got those girly NOT SO GOOD automatic hubs

Let us know which way you roll? Manual or Notomatic!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have manual locking hubs and they were locked I did have 2wd with 4 lo and hi when I get home I am going to check the hubs make sure they are working

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like what i just went though, The old grease can get hard in the cold and driving will warm it up enough to let the lock ring move freely. I would pull them apart and clean them out, I also did wheel bearings since I was that deep already.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2wd I would lock one front hub and roll the truck to see if the axle on that side turns with the wheel. Unlock and repeat for the other side. This will isolate which one is not engaging correctly.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have manual locking hubs and they were locked I did have 2wd with 4 lo and hi when I get home I am going to check the hubs make sure they are working

Good place to start. Jack up the front end and lock the hubs in and make sure the wheels are spinning together and driveshaft to transfer case is spinning. Next step is to get under the truck and manually engage the 4x4 linkage and see if you can get it to work that way. Listen for the "clunk" when it engages. Eliminate possibilities outside the transfer case first.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone, ill have to check it tomorrow, just got done clearing a few driveways and im beat, hope this snow melts and summer comes soon

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lock a hub and spin the front driveshaft by hand. Or you could do the axle shaft if so inclined.

79Jasper is right. His way is easier to rule out lockers. No jack involved...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79Jasper is right. His way is easier to rule out lockers. No jack involved...

Mine's even easier because you don't have to lay under the truck to do it! If you trust her, have your wife or girlfriend (never both at the same time) move the truck and you will know right away. Have her turn wheels hard left and right so you can see the u-joint while standing up so you don't spill your beer.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went out and checked the hubs, right side wasn't locking in, took it off and it seems it was just off a slight bit to not allow it to fully spline on the axle shaft, so i got it to move on and off freely, put it in 4wd and its working great again, got my 4lo and 4hi back, thanks everyone for your input, i was worried it was in the transfer case

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went out and checked the hubs, right side wasn't locking in, took it off and it seems it was just off a slight bit to not allow it to fully spline on the axle shaft, so i got it to move on and off freely, put it in 4wd and its working great again, got my 4lo and 4hi back, thanks everyone for your input, i was worried it was in the transfer case

;Sweet Great work tracking it down! Winter isn't over yet! You're gonna need it!!!

Really like the colors on your truck btw.... The blue and grey looks great with the black rims. :love: Beats primer black any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm waiting for money to start growing on trees....

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i never thought of it but it does look blue and grey in the pic, its actually all black LOL, that's dirt on the bottom, i live on a dirt road so its hardly ever clean ,but you did give me an idea for a paint option thank you, and i know its not over right now we have thunder, lightning and snow going all at the same time, nature is crazy

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i never thought of it but it does look blue and grey in the pic, its actually all black LOL, that's dirt on the bottom, i live on a dirt road so its hardly ever clean ,but you did give me an idea for a paint option thank you, and i know its not over right now we have thunder, lightning and snow going all at the same time, nature is crazy

Aww MAN!!!! Here I thought you had a CCLB like me with this badass two tone paint job!!!LOL Oh well, I'm just going to forget that you mentioned that and keep dreaming of a new paint job:D.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online