NMB2 dyno

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what Justin said over at PSN:

So, I did dyno today.

Racin' didn't make it......

I did 5 pulls. Wasn't much time for any tinkering or tuning but I was able to adjust the timing from 6 to 5. it lost power. and 6 to 7, and it lost power. So 6* seems to be the sweet spot.

Also, I never got a reply for anyone on here about how much Race methanol I could run so I was too timid to run a bunch of it through the engine not knowing.

That being said. A few things. I have never been on a dynojet before, only mustangs but I will say that the crank sensor seemed more accurate than roller speed, and the whole process was much quicker/consistent feeling. I will go back to this shop after I make changes rather than switching.

I have 5 dyno pulls and a coast down of 29% parasitic loss.

@ 28psi boost - 292rwhp/614rwtq - 377hp/792tq. So a 207hp/477tq increase over a stock advertised 1986 6.9IDI

I was told SRW is around 24% loss, just for comparisons reasons...but still would bring me short of the 350rwhp goal I had set.

I was thinking about it the entire way home.... with the 300hp I made that's only 2rwhp/cc which is the lowest I've ever seen. This brings me to 2 conclusions....

Either my engine is extremely inefficient, which I don't believe to be the case since I didn't even touch 1000* on the dyno and all other trucks that dynoed hit 1200-1300 with ease. (most of them had more fuel than me)

Or, Ken is incorrect about this pump putting out 150cc's.

Anywho, I have the feeling my thread is going to turn into an all out warzone once again, I hope this is not the case though...

here is the video:

http://youtu.be/M92rDaOjFdg?hd=1

wmoguy

Reaction score
3 bills of HP. not bad.

Personally I'm not seeing 6 grand of cold cash and countless hours of labor to make the ROI worth it. None the less props to Justin for being honest with his #s

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! 300HP 600ft/lbs is pretty darn good for the ol IDI. I hope he can work it out with Ken to figure out why his power is still lower than it should be. Like he said, 2hp/cc is not that great, if its actually putting out 150cc. I wonder if something else is holding him back, like his fuel pump or injectors?

Either way, I'm really happy with this build and would like to see more people follow in his footsteps so this becomes a simpler and cheaper process.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, Ken is incorrect about this pump putting out 150cc's.

Not trying to start a war about DPS but...........with my person experience with Ken/DPS and his IP's, I'd suggest he get that pump tested at another shop. I'm afraid, that may be the case. Sometimes what Ken says and what he does are not the same.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not trying to start a war about DPS but...........with my person experience with Ken/DPS and his IP's, I'd suggest he get that pump tested at another shop. I'm afraid, that may be the case. Sometimes what Ken says and what he does are not the same.

Heath

I don't think I will jump to that conclusion right away. 2rwhp/cc isn't to outrageous compared to the claim that a 7.3 powerstroke makes 2.2rwhp/cc. That's a 10% difference. Higher injection pressure, direct injection, variable timing, etc, I can see that 10% difference. Who knows though maybe his pump is putting out 145cc's or something.

wmoguy

Reaction score
there very well could be other variables affecting this old formula of CC's=X HP

I.e. compression ratio, quality of fuel, He could be OUT of fuel, etc..

Just because you can make a P7100 pump push out 600cc's of fuel doesn't mean you'll have a 1200hp Cummins....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will jump to that conclusion right away.

Not my conclusion...... Justin made that statement.;Sweet It's a valid concern. There are things I could share about my experience, but I choose not to. I'm not just saying this stuff to **** on Ken. The issues with Ken's honesty are based on facts. I'm leaving the subject alone now.:D

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats all done to his build great numbers

Go over to PSN and read his build. There is too much to list of what he's done. There is like 200 pages to read. The basic stuff he did was machine the engine, cam swap, custom turbo, and swapped out the Db2 injection pump for a Db4, and lots of studs.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I don't know whats more insane.... Those numbers or the fact he FINALLY made a half decent vid :rotflmao LOL

Cool! I think its great :love: