Next vehicle suggestions?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is REALLY premature, but I'm starting to look for our next vehicle to replace my wife's car. I've only had my diesel for a month and a half. While I haven't stopped working on it yet, I do LOVE it! Even with the big ol extra wide mud tires on it, I'm getting the same millage (17mpg daily driving) that I now get out of my '94 f150 with a straight 6. I can't wait to get some stock tires and a turbo on it. Anyway, I've noticed that my EXT cab is a LOT better than the regular cab of the half ton when it comes to hauling us all somewhere, but it's still a little snug to be a true family vehicle. I'm really hoping that her Bonneville will last us another 2 years, and that should give us enough time to save the money to buy something to replace it with. I love the idea of a diesel SUV, but I'm really not interested in the excursion. Just too big for her to drive back and forth to work every day (45min each way). We talked about cars like a late 80s Merc. but we both like the idea of not having to bend over to put the kid(s) in their car seats. So, unless I'm wrong, if I really want a diesel SUV, it would have to be a conversion project. Just what I need, another project... ;) Anyway, I thought I would ask yall's advice on here and see what kind of suggestions you had. She drives like an old lady, so I don't need 500 hp. Heck, I like to drive like an idiot from time to time, and I still don't need 500 hp. I'm thinking something like a Explorer with a 7.3 IDI or a 5.9l 12v ctd in it. Thoughts?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Toyota Land Cruiser with a JDM diesel swap. Range Rover diesel. Chevy Blazer with the 6.5 Turbo. Ford Explorer with a Perkins or a Kubota diesel. Chevy Astro van with a Yanmar. IH Scout diesel with a hot pump, injectors and turbo. Dodge Durango with a 3.9 Cummins. Full size Bronco with a 7.3 IDI, mild pump, E40D, 3.08s or even a 7.3PSD with tweaks.

Nah, too much work.

Go get a Jeep Liberty CRD or Grand Cherokee turbodiesel and be done with it.

But if you want to go there: Chevy Impala station wagon with a Duramax, Mercedes Benz 300TD wagon with a rally style suspension and tweaked motor (they're good to over 500hp)..................

Wait, one last attempt: crewcab Bronco! There's a guy that's got one on this site. Pretty trick.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
For a smaller engine don't forget about the 4 banger Cummins, a 4BTA is a much smaller package that should get excellent mileage (she's driving 45 mins ya know)... and those would be easier to stuff in a Exploder than an 8 cly or straight 6...

you can find them in delivery vans (step vans)....

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
would never fit....you be lookin at more like a bronco with an idi or perhaps a diesel excursion.

you can find the suburbans with the 6.2's pretty easy....heck even some of the big boats of the 80's had a diesel in them.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel millage and life span are what I'd be looking for. I didn't think about it until after I made this post, but my most likely option would to get an early F250 crew cab short bed, and convert that. I don't think I could get a 94' crew cab, but I did find some '97 crews with the PSD in them. I could run that for a while, and then convert over to a 12V ctd. I figure it will cost me about the same to convert it as it would to replace the IP and injectors..... That's what I've heard anyway... ;)

What would REALLY be sweet for her would be a half ton crew cab short bed0with a turbo diesel. If I was going to have a pipe dream, that would probably be it. I wouldn't want anything newer than about a 94 though. That next body style was just plain ugly!