enenuenue

Reaction score
aloha kakou, my handle is enenuenue, which is a fish here in hawaii which is quite delicious. i am new to the world of diesel but have always desired a diesel truck. i am a disabled vietnam veteran. first, hello and a happy new year to all. second my situation and problem. i have been able to gather 3 ford trucks, all which have problems and singularly are not running. one is a 1988 f-250 with a 351 gas engine. one is an 1989 f350 automatic 7.3 and the last is a 1995 f350 460 gas engine. i have removed the 7.3 and hope to put it into the 1995 which is dually dump. i am presently putting in new piston rings and bearings and while i was torqueing the con rod bolts, one kept on stretching and broke. i went to our local ford dealership and was told that the 1989 parts were obsolete. that sounds a tad askew to me and so to my question. can anyone here point me to where i can purchase the nuts and bolts for my con rods. i think that i will change all 16 of them. any help please.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice collection you are building over there. Now about the rod bolts breaking.. Thats most unusaul to hear of. Are you useing a torque wrench and when was it last calibrated. They need calibration once a year to stay in check. Ford knows nothing about whats still available too. Most of the counter people just don't want to attempt looking for the parts because they feel these engines are nothing. I don't have a name of any shop that rebuilds the rods but I know they are out there. Try calling ARP.. They make most of all the studs for many engines be it racing or just street. They make a head stud kit for our 6.9 or 7.3 idi engines and they work great. They may have a set of rod bolts too or might know where you can find them. Also remember these 6.9 and 7.3 engines use the same rods in each engine. Same with the cam, crank and most other internals. These engines were never actually a Ford engine. They were made by International which is now Navistar so find one of those shop or dealers and ask there. Ebay has plenty of these rods for sale all the time too...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aloha!
Gary is 99% correct on the rods being the same. the factory turbo motor is the only motor that has different internals compared to all the other 6.9/7.3 motors. the crank, harmonic balancer, rods and pistons are physically different. fortunately, they are pretty rare, probably even more rare on the islands.
One more thing, if you do need help getting heavier stuff over to you, I do have a connection with a shipper from the Oakland docks that ships to the main island, so moving large stuff is possible.;Sweet
My dad's side has family who migrated to the big island, people who first meet me think I'm an islander, I wish I was! Unfortunately, I've never been there other than flight stopovers.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. Glad to have you.

Hope to visit your fine state one of these days.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Heath on that one! Thanks for your military service also. ;Sweet

enenuenue

Reaction score
thank you to all for responding, the welcome to this house is felt. and towcat, thanks for the over the pond connection. i am on the big island, 15 minutes from the volcano. if you come here---call---enenuenue