New truck..

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what i want to do with this rig... I really miss my IDI, i don't like looking under the hood and seeing lots of wires.

1999 f350 dump
6spd manual pto driven dump
truck has 115k but the engine is rebuilt and has less than 5k on it and got a new clutch (receipt for $8500) the turbo is also new, its a larger turbo with a wicked wheel... haven't gotten the details on it yet.
has a nice digital brake controller and a edge programmer included.
the truck sat out alot and wasn't used much, right now i have it in the shop to do all new brakes. once i get the brakes done i think i may want to sell it to try and get another idi.

whats this truck worth ball park? there is alot of rust on it, the bed is rough underneath

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3?
depends on if you find anyone that wants a dump
8-9k is my guess

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yall need to come out of the dark ages.play with that psd a little bit and youll wonder why anybody bothers messing with an idi.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If you get to feeling bad about the complexity, go have a look under the hood of a 6.7. That should do the trick.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yall need to come out of the dark ages.play with that psd a little bit and youll wonder why anybody bothers messing with an idi.

ive had to work on my 01 7.3 PSD and my 94 7.3 IDI.
i must say. i far more prefer my IDI.
the PSD is nice, powerfull, and comfy.
but my IDI is just all around more fun.
i confirmed this today while replacing a ******* valve cover wiring harness

would you rathr work on a 1964 GTO or a 2005 GTO??

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my PSD is my daily driver and all around everything vehicle. Its powerful, comfy and I know I can depend on it. However, the downside to a more modern-ish truck is that breaking stuff isn't really something I am interested in dealing with especially if I break it from playing. So in comes the IDI, I know its reliable, its easy to work on, parts are still cheap and easy to find, hence it has become the toy.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you afraid of breaking?youre not gonna break it till youre pumping over 400Hp at the wheels.with proper maintenance (oil and filter changes) you have injectors that will outlast the motor itself.no fuel return lines to leak if you look at them the wrong way.glow plugs that rarely swell in the head.itll even tell you where it hurts when somethings wrong with it.

Dont get me wrong,i loved my idi and would buy another given the chance but id much rather have a psd.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had to work on my 01 7.3 PSD and my 94 7.3 IDI.
i must say. i far more prefer my IDI.
the PSD is nice, powerfull, and comfy.
but my IDI is just all around more fun.
i confirmed this today while replacing a ******* valve cover wiring harness

would you rathr work on a 1964 GTO or a 2005 GTO??

And what was so difficult about that besides getting the rear bolt out?you can even leave that bolt out,it wont leak.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 13 mm swivel socket, and an air ratchet makes short work of those rear and lower bolts.
It's the fact that I just replaced everything less than 10 months ago.
I got this truck for the price of building a custom frame for a 38 Chevy pick up.
After replacing heads, and damn near everything above it.
This truck was supposed to be done.
I've had a lot of issues with this truck I HAVNT given up on her yet,

I've done the same to my 87.
Except I've replaced the 6.9 with a 7.3 with an ATS 093.
Only thing I've had to do to it was upgrades.
There cheaper, easier and less problematic.

Sure the IDI. Has less power, I don't melt in its Corinthian leather, and it doesn't look like a nice new truck.
But hell all I have to do is give it fuel and oil changes and she's golden.
And I don't need a 2500 dollar scanner to tell me what's wrong with her.
Bottom line. I love all 5 of my fords. But my IDI is my favorite.
Just my opinion and experience

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 7.3 PSDs are going for 8-10k in TX. With a fresh engine and upgraded turbo, plus a dump bed to boot, I'd estimate 13k+

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you afraid of breaking?youre not gonna break it till youre pumping over 400Hp at the wheels.with proper maintenance (oil and filter changes) you have injectors that will outlast the motor itself.no fuel return lines to leak if you look at them the wrong way.glow plugs that rarely swell in the head.itll even tell you where it hurts when somethings wrong with it.

Dont get me wrong,i loved my idi and would buy another given the chance but id much rather have a psd.

Well when I say its a toy, that means its going to see water, mud, playing around rivers and such and basically get beat on hard (not to purposely break stuff, but as a toy). Parts in general are considerably cheaper for an IDI than for a PSD and there are far less electrical things to worry about. So thats kind of what I meant.

Believe me I have plenty of confidence in the reliability of the 7.3 PSD, thats why its my everything but a toy truck.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In texas though you don't have rust... and this truck has it bad.

didn't really mean to spark an idi vs PS debate here.. though it is sort of entertaining.

i really just don't have much use for a dump. i am either going to sell it or pull the body and weld up something i can see around to back up :D

anyone familiar with pto setups? not sure if this is something i could pull with the body or not.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that damn bolt on the rear of the VC, mines been out for three years now, no leaks. Bolt is hanging on the tool board in a clear plastic bag and marked just in case I need it in the next 20 years.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that damn bolt on the rear of the VC, mines been out for three years now, no leaks. Bolt is hanging on the tool board in a clear plastic bag and marked just in case I need it in the next 20 years.

ive taken the pass side cover off a few times.
one of those shallow 13mm sockets on a swivel, a 6" extension and an air ratchet,
its not bad, if you have the right tool.

i had a harder time putting th innercooler charging tuberubber hose back on to th inner cooler..lol