new truck!

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
I got a 92 F250 with 170k on it. shes black on black. 35" mudders 2"lift
7.3L IDI motor. are these good engines?
tell me what you think. or maybe what to look out for/ check.

thanks a ton.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noahz glad to see another tulsan on here. the idi motors are great engines but require a little extra work here and there i have found. i have a 92 F350 and lovin it. we got another OB.NET member in wagoner oldmisterbill.

PM me sometime and i'll get you my number and you can call if you need help or just want to get together a shoot the idi bull. :bs

oh and welcome :Thumbs Up

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried to be first to welcome ya but MLSC beat me to the punch while i was typing.

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
Alright. Well thanks guys. im new to diesels in general. so i could use all the help and advice i can get!

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
But one thing that kind of concerns me is that i rarely get any black smoke. and when i do get smoke at all, its pretty much grey. Is this bad? If so, what can i do to fix this? i was also wondering about any cheap mods. I got strait pipes on it. and am putting cold air on in the near future. Anything else come to mind?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats what keeps most of us here.. The helping of others learn what it takes yo stay on the road... No need to take your truck to the dealership and have them tell you... Yes, you have a problem and that will be $80.00 for the diagnois... Gees.. Didn"t I know I had a problem BEFORE I took it in??? Really... Most all the dealerships don't have the people with any expertise like we have here..... And were free....:sly Welcome to about the finest Ford idi site anywhere. Enjoy the reading...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noahz glad to see another tulsan on here. the idi motors are great engines but require a little extra work here and there i have found. i have a 92 F350 and lovin it. we got another OB.NET member in wagoner oldmisterbill.

PM me sometime and i'll get you my number and you can call if you need help or just want to get together a shoot the idi bull. :bs

oh and welcome :Thumbs Up

I'm out in Broken Arrow, but as this is my first post.....I'm just lurking.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
But one thing that kind of concerns me is that i rarely get any black smoke. and when i do get smoke at all, its pretty much grey. Is this bad? If so, what can i do to fix this? i was also wondering about any cheap mods. I got strait pipes on it. and am putting cold air on in the near future. Anything else come to mind?

That smoke is fine, there is no need for excessive black smoke when you dont have a pyrometer, you wouldnt want to risk blowing your motor up(maybe i should take my owwn advice:rolleyes:LOL)

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
How much could i turn my pump up without the risk of hurting my engine? And how would i go about doing that?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
start with quarter of a flat- 15 deg- turn increments but make sure you have a pyro because these engines can get hot quick. there is no real answer because some guys have installed pyros on stock trucks and seen high egts where as there are others like me who have it up 3 flats na and cant seem to get the temps up. there are to many factors to tell you how much you can turn it up and be safe.

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
Alright thanks. I also cant seem to find ANY aftermarket parts at all for my truck...
Does anyone know of a website that carries anything for a 92 F250 idi engine?
All i can find is parts for 94's and up...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
what are you calling aftermarket... like performance or what... there really isnt much as far as performance but a turbo. propane/water **** but you are basically goin to have to modify another system to fit your needs.