New to the forum, and have some questions regarding trying to get my first diesel truck.

12 valve Mike

Reaction score
Hey yall, how's everyone, I'm Mike, I'm a new recruit to oil burners, so let's get stuff kicked off, so I'm looking for my first diesel truck, the cream of the crop for me is going to be a 12 valve cummins with a 6 speed manual, and I will settle with a OBS powerstroke but prefer a 12 valve way more, but sadly I am still building my credit (just a 21 year old guy here) and wanting to get a personal loan for one in the future in about 6 months(thats when the bank said to try and apply when my credit is a year old) but any ways I know they're both good motors and they're tough and rugged, but my question is about if I do find a 12 valve but it has a automatic transmission in it is how much would it cost to convert it over to a 6 speed? And/or could I just build the automatic transmission tougher to take the torque of the motor without killing it, but I rather have a 6 speed anyhow just love the sound of it when it shifts and love that transmission. I want to know what is considered a good deal on a old 12 valve(despite being over 10k sadly☹), I would love to hear everyone's knowledge and experiences with these old 12 valves and what to watch out for on them and what is their flaws they have, and what years of the 12 valve is the best, I don't want to bull dog it or put big ugly rims on it I just want to use it what they were made to do, WORK, not a showboat, but I'd love to get to know people and make new freinds and hear about yalls rigs yall own. Hope all is well for everyone and happy to meet yall.

Mike

Ciulster

Reaction score
As far as I am aware the NV5600 six speed transmission was only offered from model year 2001 and up in the 2nd generation trucks which is definitely in the 24 valve realm, so if you are dead set on 6 speeds on a 12 valve you are going to be swapping anyways. Manual to manual will certainly be easier and cheaper though as you already have most of the bits you need and none of the things you don't, mostly sensors and wires for the autos. It's just a matter of finding a way to bolt the 6 speed in where a 5 speed should go.

As for your credit situation if you are okay with a little bit of a project keep an eye out for a half-decent 1st gen 12 valve. You can sometimes find em for good prices. I recently just picked up a '92 for $4800 (Canadian dollars, which in this market is a screaming deal considering a clapped out truck can easily go for $8K). Sure she has some gremlins that I am certain to be posting about soon, in fact that's the main reason I just hopped back on oilburners after a 5 year hiatus after getting fed up and ditching my piece of junk 6.9IDI lol.

All I'm saying is don't be afraid of a truck that needs a little TLC, just make sure you are versed enough in the things it does need. If you are new to diesels completely I would do a ton of research and look at problems other people are having, especially with fuel, no start conditions, etc as those are critical to be knowledgeable about when looking at any used diesel. Knowing is half the battle. If she needs some suspension or U-joints that's not bad. If the thing struggles to start at room temperature like my old IDI did I would definitely steer clear until you are acclimatized to dealing with grumpy diesels!

12 valve Mike

Reaction score
Thanks for the info cluster and nice meeting you by the way, dads got an old 6.9 and he isn't very grumpy on cold starts for an old idi, thats another thing id like to mention is about these old idis, I know they're gonna probably be the cheapest of the bunch cause they're non turbo and slow, but id be happy with an old idi too, but would prefer a 12 valve honestly, more of the cream of the crop in my book. And one more pro about an idi is they're all mechanical and cheap on parts, thats another thing that causes me to lean towards the idis, and another question I want to ask are you familiar with the old obs 7.3 powerstroke diesels, I know they're more computerized and such and how good are they and how easy are they to work on? Thanks
Mike

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have five 12-valve trucks (rougher, worktruck grade) and the costliest was my '93 4x4 at $4500 CAD.

I like a 6speed, but it hasn't been cost effective for me to go there. All of mine that get driven are 5 speed.

I sold my 95 F350 PSD and 97 E350 PSD 7-10 years ago to pay for the Dodges. IMHO, these engines are a troubleshooting nightmare when they get to the higher miles, and the parts costs rack up fast. I do miss the F350 crew and I have a soft spot for the factory IDiT engine. At one point I wanted a cheaper f350 crew to Fummins.

Edit: I wouldn't take a loan out for a 10+yo truck. Save up to buy.

12 valve Mike

Reaction score
Thanks U2slow for the advice and additional experience information on your cummins, honestly, I may be going the powerstroke/idi route, just more cheaper and dang reliable also. And what makes these cummins a troubleshooting nightmare in your opinion? Yeah I've heard both pros ad cons with both motors(cummins and powerstroke) like the kdp pin in the 12 valves, the transmissions blowing up from the torque from the motor, powerstroke i think I heard the HPOP is costly when it goes out and can cause your truck not to start or run as good, I'm more familiar with the old idis honestly from being around dads old 6.9L( sweet truck and motor) but I'm willing to learn more about the 7.3 powerstroke, heard darn good stuff about it too though, kinda indecisive right now cause they both are all neat and useful in their own way, they all have their distinctive sounds that all sound good, long life, reliable and they all have enough power to get the job done while our idis may be slow and old dinosaurs, they still earn their keep. I may swing to the idi page to talk with some of the idi gurus and see what they say, thanks everyone and have a good night,
Mike

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
PSD was a troubleshooting nightmare... in case that wasn't clear. I haven't owned a more reliable engine than a 6BT.

My IDI time was mostly spent with 6.2L Chevys. Ford's is more reliable, but similar challenges to make power. Neither handles turbocharging as well as an engine intentionally built for it. And 2 extra cylinders worth of of maintenance items.