New to me truck.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought this 1991 F350 with an ATS turboed 7.3

Here's the only picture I have of it. It does not have the camper on it though.

You must be registered for see images attach

It has an EGT gauge, but I think a boost gauge would be helpful as well. I guess the EGTs run just shy of 400 degrees during normalish driving. Not sure what's normal.

Will get better pics tomorrow. It's ugly, but I like it.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I would have liked a crew cab, but those things are long. I can barely park the extended cab anywhere. :)

Tim.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Crewcabs are long for most cali parking lot spaces. Welcome to the forum and thats a nice looking rig. What are your plans for it. How many miles. Whats the trans. 4x4 or 2x4. A boost gauge is just as important at the pyro is. I like to see my engine oil temp but in reality we have nothing we can do about cooling it or heating it up. We have an oil cooler but we can't control the heat. I have found the oil runs about 15 degrees hotter than the coolant temps till you pull a hill. Then it will climb till you start down the other side. Then the temp drops back to the norms. You exhaust temps appear normal for what you describe. Just keep them below 1100. At 1200 we tend to see piston distorsion because aluminum melts around 1225. We do have a constant spray of oil under the pistons from the piston oil cooler nozzles.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's long for the parking spaces here, but I like the space for my kids.

I mostly plan to use the thing. Camping, hunting, towing, etc. Winter vehicle too.

It has an E40D trans, 4x4.

Running 65 on the freeway going up a hill the EGTs went to about 750*. First tank got 13 mpg, but I had idled it a lot when I recharged the A/C today.

The hoses to the injectors appear to be covered in fuel, so I think I'll need to reseal them. And hopefully someone around here can help me make sure the timing is on. Don't have $200 to buy a ferret adapter.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hoses to the injectors appear to be covered in fuel, so I think I'll need to reseal them. And hopefully someone around here can help me make sure the timing is on. Don't have $200 to buy a ferret adapter.

Talk to Typ4 or Agnem on here and purchase a quality return line kit from them. (The lines to the injectors you speak of) It has all the fuel line, o rings, and washers needed and runs under 50$

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually already have one sitting in the truck right now.

The air filter in it was atrocious, so I imagine the fuel filter needs to be changed too. Air filter changed already, but the fuel filter and injector return lines will be done tomorrow along with the rear brakes.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you use a laser thermometer on these engines to reliably measure the temp? If so, where do you point it? My stock temp gauge never seems to get over the O or R on Normal. Seems kinda low really. But I guess these stock gauges aren't really that accurate either.

Thanks for the compliments all. I'm pretty excited about this beast.

Also, aside from a big hammer, how in the world do you get these drums off? I've doused the one in penetrating oil and I've been whaling on it for a while, just wont let go.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my 4lb 1ft handle sledge for pretty much all drum brakes. I dont like to dabble around.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't separate soon, I'm breaking out the double jack lol.