New to IDI's, 7.3 questions

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda grabbed that one IIRC they are 230 HP with a P pump. I would put one of those allisons in in a minute, 5 speed at least ,not a 4, they dont break unless you are very ******* them.

Description said 6BTA-230 with an Allison MT643. The 1993 went for $1600.00 The 92 went for $1525.99.....

I've been waiting for one to show up there at the Auburn surplus deal via Ebay. But the timing wasn't right..... Knowing me, I would have just cut the frame and kept a running engine. :slyLOL I know how they mounted these things in the frame. Just make a little stand and weld the frame to it. Very little is actually mounted to the body. Could have kept it "running" to keep it fresh.... and the fuel tank is a 100 gallon (usually). Most of the buses have a switch that allows rear engine starting vs front.... would just have to bypass the switch going up front.... oh well. Maybe the next bus. So long it's not a 8.3L......

But if would have bought it, I prob. would have been 'killed' and I'd have to have a buddy posting on here saying what happened LOL Granted, I do live out in the 'country', so it's not like living in the city and having the neighbors give you the dirty look when you park a bus in front of the house or in the drive.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured this would a good post to ask....

Found this pic.... but I couldn't ID the engine model. I know it's a 1991 model year Cummins, but I can't tell if it's a "B" series (5.9L) or a "C" (8.3L).....

Attachments

• diesel engine.JPG
    diesel engine.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 16

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a 5.9 with wh1c and a P7100. And it's had the **** run out of it. Look at the port mismatch from the rear of the exhaust manifold to head.

The medium duty accesories are nice, but most of the 5.9's from heavier apps have had very hard lives. A school bus stops and goes it's entire life.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest, cheapest and most bang for the buck 4BT swap is an 87-91 Ford F-150 or 250 with a 300 six/5 speed. The engine drops right in, literally bolts in place and looks factory. There are two wires to modify and the gearing is usually perfect with a 3.08 or 3.55 rear. 1980 through 1997 F and E series are equally compatible, but the 87-91's have the most modern interior/bodies with simple underhood wiring. Swapping in diesel filler necks is probably the most difficult part.

I've assembled 30 MPG 250HP 90's F-150's for under $3000 this way.

Interesting. I was unaware that a 4BT could use the Ford 5 speed behind a 300 six. The Night Moose was just converted, but we dropped a 6.9 and a ZF 5 speed in it, with the same ease you describe for the cummins. Granted, it may not have 250HP, but it does get 31 MPG. Total cost of the IDI conversion was about $1200.

Your obviously heavily biased by your experience with the Cummins motors. Despite what you think about the IDI, this is the engine that revolutionized diesel pickups, not the Cummins. These NA motors out sold your turbo'ed cummins in Dodges 10 to 1. Everything that is manufactured today is made to make money, and Ford and IH were the clear winners. Obviously over time, the Cummins motors would emerge as being the better "deal". However, International was always ahead of the game on emissions, and they positioned themselves to always be ready to meet the new laws that they knew were coming. Cummins got caught rather quickly with their pants down and had to scramble to get a computerized version out before the green ****'s could cut off their blood flow. That's why the IDI is high compression. That's why it IS IDI with precups, and that's why they built a motor that would run like a V-8 gasser, without turbo lag. To convince a gas oriented public to go diesel, and had they not done that, then Cummins would not have the market they enjoy today.

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pic is from a Blue Bird. It's currently on sale on Ebay via the Washington State Surplus dept. As I said, the last two 5.9's went for less then $2000 for the entire bus.....

Don't get me started on the emission BS. We have at work a few new 2009 C7 Cat's w/ that regen. Have had NOTHING but trouble w/ those buses. And one of them is mine! Less then 17,000 on both and we took them off of trip duty since we couldn't trust them on trips..... decided to keep them 'local' and put them on routes. And they'll get beat too..... Would love the older C7's, but those buses will be kept on trip duty permanently. And with Cat getting out of the over the road engines, we're not looking forward to ordering any newer buses.... especially if Cummins is the only option. I think the boss and mechanics are holding out for the MaxiForce IH engine and Cat to team up....... and offer it in the buses.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Your obviously heavily biased by your experience with the Cummins motors. Despite what you think about the IDI, this is the engine that revolutionized diesel pickups, not the Cummins. These NA motors out sold your turbo'ed cummins in Dodges 10 to 1. Everything that is manufactured today is made to make money, and Ford and IH were the clear winners. Obviously over time, the Cummins motors would emerge as being the better "deal". However, International was always ahead of the game on emissions, and they positioned themselves to always be ready to meet the new laws that they knew were coming. Cummins got caught rather quickly with their pants down and had to scramble to get a computerized version out before the green ****'s could cut off their blood flow. That's why the IDI is high compression. That's why it IS IDI with precups, and that's why they built a motor that would run like a V-8 gasser, without turbo lag. To convince a gas oriented public to go diesel, and had they not done that, then Cummins would not have the market they enjoy today.

that is going to get averagef250's ******* in a ***

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to the 7.3L IDI, if I recall, since it predates me, GM screwed up the diesel market by marketing that ******* 5.7L diesel. It has such a bad reputation, that people were freaked for a long time.

If GM hadn't screwed up by marketing a half breed diesel, I think the diesels would have taken hold a lot sooner here in the US. And not just in trucks, but more in cars......

But hey, I think I've only seen one 5.7L diesel in person..... and it wasn't running too well then. And the 70's oil crunch.... well, I was 'little' then....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online