New problem! New Speedo Gear torn up already

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
I added a new speedo gear from FORD. The speedo was working up until 2 hours ago, half way home it started bouncing again. The truck started slipping almost like the torque converter didnt want to stay locked along with it basically skipping second. 1-3-OD-3-OD-3-OD

I looked at the VSS forst and found the new speedo gear is starting to cup and is torn in multiple places.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this?

Looking at buying a new Ford diesel and junking this IDI as much as it pains me to. But I need a running truck.

Thank you

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First welcome to OB,

Second please fill in your sig with truck year n details,

We have no idea what other than a diesel and what appears to be an OD auto...E4OD year? 2Wd? 4Wd? help us out so we can better help you.

Again welcome and if you get that stuff in kool

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the c6 so it aint as big of a deal but i had that happening the inner gear is problly shot or close to shot replace that or do as i did and get a gps speedo

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I found some time back that you've got to replace both the drive gear and the driven gear as a set. Just like a ring and pinion, they wear together over time.

I replaced the drive gear on my '87 truck and had a great, working speedo for all of a week before it died. Second time around I replaced all except the actual speedometer, Drive gear, driven gear, and cable. Worked great for the remainder of our time together...

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Ok, duh. It was a long day yesterday and I assumed I was expecting yall to guess! :D

Anyway, thank you for the replies.

Its a 1989 f350. 4 wheel drive with a stock E4OD trans. Both truck and trans has 170XXX miles on them. The speedo cable attaches to the VSS in the transfer case.

I am using a GPS right now for speed, but I feel like the Speedo is connected to the trans not shifting correctly. Unless two things went wrong at the same time.

Another new gear and the actual drive gear inside the tcase has been ordered from local Ford dealer.

Thank you

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good...that drive gear is not easy but not impossible either to replace....

Not sure why you are chewing grears like this, makes no sense. Good luck with the repair

What do you mean the trans is not shifting correctly?

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Its basically skipping second or hitting it and going immediately to 3. Then it jumps back and forth between OD and 3. I already adjusted the TPS to 1.01v unless its a different problem all together. (Torque Converter etc)

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
E4OD needs a good signal from the speedo drive (as well as tach and FIPL) to work correctly. Don't drive it as it may damage the trans. Another reason I went aftermarket on the trans controller when I did my swap.

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Alright will do. I am pulling the drive gear and replacing tomorrow hopefully. I will give an update so hopefully someone can learn from my mental stress! LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can lube the speedo drive cable if you think it's sticking, making the speedo jump, after you change the gear. You have to disconnect it from the speedo, pull out the center cable grease it (wheel bearing grease) slide it back in, twist it so the square end engages at the trans.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can lube the speedo drive cable if you think it's sticking, making the speedo jump, after you change the gear. You have to disconnect it from the speedo, pull out the center cable grease it (wheel bearing grease) slide it back in, twist it so the square end engages at the trans.
Gee...

I've always used a lighter grease than that myself, I usually take a tube of lubriplate
You must be registered for see images

ONE THING...I usually squirt a shiteload of WD or thin oil down the cable first to clean out most of if not all the sludge one can, in the cables housing. Then squirt some lubriplate in insert the cable a bit at a time...keep pushing cable and some lube in at same time...slowly adding grease and cable all the while twisting cable too...then insert into the trans, then into speedo...

JM2CW but it's worked for me...I live in colder climate in winter and need it to be able to spin freely in winter!

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated. I got the dash apart and the cable out. The bolt on top of the transfer case was rounded off, so I will have to try and get that off tomorrow somehow. Once i get it off and replace the drive gear and the speedo gear I should be back in business!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.