New owner of a 95 E300 Diesel - lots of questions

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle in question is a '95 E300 diesel with what I think is referred to as the 606 family 24v diesel engine non turbo

260k miles - starts and runs fine, no smoke even on cold start.

Good oil pressure (gauge sweeps quickly up to 3 bar after start up, runs in the middle of the gauge after warm up)

Pretty good maintenance history in the original maintenance book - all appears well under the oil cap.

1. do the 606 / 24v (I hope I'm referring to my engine properly) diesels have the timing chain stretch issues of the previous years?

how do I measure chain stretch - where do I buy a new chain - and what is a good manual (ebay CD?) to guide me through the replacment procedure?

2. the cruise control has worked on 2 of several attempts - where do I best start to troubleshoot this problem?

3. the moonroof does not function - but does not leak thanfully - however, the passenger rear corner sits below the level of the rest of the roof and I'd like to fix that --- can I accomplish this through the manual override from the trunk? Am I better off just forgetting about messing with the roof all together?

4. Do the diesels have the same wiring harness issues as the gas engines in these years? If so where can a replacement be had - or do I just order up a bunch of spools of wire and start at it one wire at a time?

5. where can I buy fuses for an MB?

6. There is clattering noise just before the transmission upshifts under moderate to high loads --- is this a characteristic of these engines or should I be investigating valve train or injector noises or perhaps a fan clutch?

7. I would like to do an overall maintenance - coolant flush - hose changes, engine oil, fuel, power steering, and transmission filter changes... where is the best place to buy such parts?

Can I use off the shelf Dextron 3 ATF?

Is Zerex coolant PH neutral as MB requires?

I've had good luck in my powerstroke truck with rotella 5w40 - is that a good choice for this engine?

8. the steering feels loose while travelling straight on a flat road - perhaps front ball joints or some of the rear links... any suggested brands or parts sources for suspension parts --- the car also sits low in the front -- I've not found factory height coil springs - only lowering springs - which I don't think I want -- any suggestions on factory height replacement springs?

Thanks folks - sorry for all the questions - but I'm excited about making this car new again!

tgatch

Reaction score
Wow!! That is a few questions.

The coolant you should use is the Zerex G-05.

If you want good quality fuses, your MB dealer will be probably the best choice. Second choice would be a local shop that deals with European Imports.

The BEST manual to get your hands on would be an Official MB FSM. If you can find one on E-Bay, that will be best as they are not cheap. The next best thing would be to join a forum like http://www.Schumanautomotive.com/forums. Henry Schuman owns a shop that works on Vintage Mercedes vehicles and has a line on many new and used parts for just about any chassis MB out there.

ALL timing chains eventually stretch. I can't help you with the procedure on how to do it on the 606x engine though.

I run Delvac 15-40 and have had no issues. Not sure I'd throw a Synth at it if it hasn't been running Synth its whole life. Regular Dino is fine as long as you change the oil and filters every 5K.

I hope that some of the info I posted helps get you where you want to be. Enjoy your new Mercedes addiction.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tgatch - your avatar is priceless!

At this point I have to get my other car sold, and attend to a couple of leaky tires on the MB -- I'm afraid it maybe corrosion of the aluminum wheels at the tire bead seat..... we'll see once I get them dismounted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7