New Noise ?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first inclination is that you have an intake lifter sticking open...I would change the oil and add some sort of engine cleaner (Auto-RX, Seafoam, or whatever) and see if it cleans the lifter out and makes everything happy. If not...you might be looking at diving into the valley and replacing the lifters.

Also, just to rule out the possibility of a bad injector, you'll want to isolate the sound to one cylinder (if you can), then swap two injectors with each other and see if the sound follows the injector or if it stays with that cylinder. I have a feeling this is a lifter as opposed to an injector, but can't hurt to check...

bluesdude24

Reaction score
is air coming out of your air filter instead of going in? mine did the same thing, it was a bad injector that caused a push rod to bend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Sounds terrible... How many miles are on the injecters. How many miles are on the glow plugs. It could be a plug tip broke off and is or was stuck to a piston top.... Or its a bad injecter. The souns is hollow and does not sound like a bad lifter to me... But it sure could be a lifter too. Its difficult to really hear whats going on over the net.. Feel all the injecter hard lines when its making this noise near the injecters. Be careful. If an injecter is leaking thru that line will be hot from compression backing up in the hard line.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this truck last May with approximately 145,000 miles , the PO told me he had just replaced injectors and glow plugs. I have since replaced glowplugs again with zd9's due to hard starting issues, they now have about 2000 miles on them. The truck now has about 149K miles on it. I recently changed the oil and switched from Rotella to Delo in doing so.

Today I started the truck to move it and it did the same noise for about 30 seconds and stopped, it has been sitting about 1 week. I have been considering new injector due to poor milage after driving it 500 miles last deer season, I was getting about 15 mpg, and that dropped to about 11 mpg.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Sounds like IP timing to me, I'd take it to an international dealer and get the timing checked cause like with my old Willys jeep if the timing is off it'll fire to late or to early and you'll get poor milage, or your IP could just be wore out and need replacing, every 125,00 or so I read.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for providing more information.. Now we have no idea where the "new" injecters came from. So they could be those new rebuilts or as some like to sell... New remanufactured... Either way a rebuilt is never going to be a new injecter.. Its tue that the injection pumps last about 125,000 miles or so.. But I'm not to sure thats your issue at this time. If your going to change injecters please read the Hall of Shame before you buy from anyone. We do have a few members that sell injecters for a fair price... On the west coast its typ4 whose name is Russ. In Pa or the east coast its agnem whos name is Mel... Mel owns Conestogat Diesel Injection Shop in Pa. Both of these members are great people and give way more than you pay for when doing business with either of them..

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That to me sounds like a bad lifter. But like stated above, it could be many things. My truck has made that exact noise twice on me now. Both times only lasted a few seconds then quit instantly. And when engine is hot, my rig makes an intermittent ticking noise. Auto-rx didn't help the noise...but did help my oil consumption so that was good. In my case, the lifters are well beyond worn which leads me to believe that yours may be having similar issues.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think 'if' a lifter was acting-up or even an injector...it would produce a rough idle.
OP, is the idle different when the noise was there???

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think 'if' a lifter was acting-up or even an injector...it would produce a rough idle.
OP, is the idle different when the noise was there???

You nailed it. Even a lifter will cause a rough idle. All of my injectors are fresh and have been pop tested, and my IP is somewhat newish. I do have a rough idle and do believe that the worn lifters are to blame. I have ruled many things out and found that to be the culprit. From what I have heard, a worn lifter won't cause much damage. It is more of an annoyance than anything else I guess.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You nailed it. Even a lifter will cause a rough idle. All of my injectors are fresh and have been pop tested, and my IP is somewhat newish. I do have a rough idle and do believe that the worn lifters are to blame. I have ruled many things out and found that to be the culprit. From what I have heard, a worn lifter won't cause much damage. It is more of an annoyance than anything else I guess.
A simply way to test for a weak lifter...add a qt or two of Lucas to the oil...if the thicker oil pumps-up a weak lifter and smooths out the engine, bingo!

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Type4, Russ and his better half, they did a great job sending me a matched set of BB code injectors. , I just got them installed today, fired up and idles great, tomorrow I will finish putting everything together and take her for a run down the road!
Thanks for such a smooth transaction and great product, Russ.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been doing that for a while say 20,000+ miles. Only will do it when the temps are really cold and upon first start up. Only does it for 2-3 seconds max then goes away and gets quiet. Put new ip and injectors in from a reputable guy and it didnt fix anything. I wasnt trying to fix it though just trying to get better mpg's. I dont think it was injectors on my truck. And if it was lifters why would it do it when the oil is at its thickest and heaviest and not when thin??

Last edited: