New Member Here!

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Derek, I'm a 20 year old who just got my first diesel, a 1993 Ford F250 extended cab with the 7.3L N/A IDI, 4x4, two-tone red and silver, with 262K on the clock, that I just bought in February. My dream has always been to own a diesel truck, especially the original body style ford diesel, and when this opportunity presented itself to me to buy this truck for $400, I bought it on the spot without a second thought. I did a little research beforehand, and am also a member over on TheDieselStop.com which has been a good educational resource for me, and learned the IDI is one of the cheapest and easiest diesels to learn on, and so far, it has been. This truck needed very little when I got it, it still needs tires, some shocks, my front end needs some tightening I have to look into because bumps create a lot of noise and rattles, and I have an inch or so of play in either direction of my steering I need to have looked into. It had a leaking wheel cylinder I replaced, and eventually when funds provide, will need a COMPLETE brake job on all corners. My biggest pet peeve about this truck is the fuel gauge doesn't work. It has the dual tanks on it, and I only use the front, but the gauge is unresponsive to both tanks. I've replaced the gauge, which didn't work, checked all related fuses, nothing changed, checked the tank switch, which functions, so I've been told its either a problem at the FSV or a bad sending unit, both of which don't seem like I can access, so i guess I'll have to bring this to a shop to get fixed, because not knowing how much fuel I have left is very irritating. The truck needs a new windshield (kinda my fault), but has a few mods so far, removed the muffler, and straight piped it through with 2.5", which sounds really awesome, but at full throttle, really makes it sound like a gas truck, which is disappointing.

My biggest modification I plan for this truck is finding a complete, used turbo kit and adding it on (which is proving intensely hard to find a COMPLETE kit around here...) to give the truck a little power, and especially give it that turbo whistle, and then I will replace the exhaust with probably a 3-3.5" exhaust with a larger tip, probably 4-5" tip and a magnaflow XL muffler (maybe ;p). I also want to do a big overhaul on the body. All four wheel wells are rotted out, so I've got to replace the fenders and bed sides. also the cab corners are rusted, but I think I'll cheat with those and the few other rust spots and cut out the rust, sand them out and fill them with body filler and bondo. This is by no means going to be a work truck I just want the body to look nice, and after fixing the body work I want to paint the truck gloss black, which will be another project, buying a hvlp gun and teaching myself how to paint, then learning the proper steps to a good paint job and painting the truck. Eventually, my further plans would be to upgrade the truck to a dually (more for the looks than the show, :dunno) and lift it a bit. After the black paint job, I'd like to black it out, tinted cab lights, tail lights, corner lights, black wheels, tinted windows, etc.

In the mean time, this truck has a great drive train. I haven't been able to fully go through this truck and have only done an oil change with motorcraft oil and the PSD filter, a new fuel filter and a few other little things, but will take it to my mechanic for a more thorough check up. Everything runs awesome and this truck is such a beast, and while the body has seen better days, it seems the drivetrain was well maintained, and I hope to see 400-500k out of this truck.

So I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here, learning more about my truck, learning about others rides, finding new parts and goodies here, and hopefully someday helping new members myself. Please don't by shy to offer me advice, tell me if I'm doing something wrong, offer me parts (I'm always looking for something!) or ask questions, and thanks in advance for all the help to come!

Derek

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for the issues with the tanks it sounds like you may have no power to the sending units. Time to start checking if they are getting power and find the broken line....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to the forum...you'll love it here! Second, congrats on the new truck...as said there is a TON of info here at your disposal and all it takes is the search button. get some pics up of the truck as well!