New K&N filter for big trucks

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking for a small filter for my future OBA set up and notice K&N has a new section on their site.

http://www.knfilters.com/HDfilters/heavy-duty-air-filters.htm

they are completely different than the light duty stuff. plus you can get an airbox/tube with them. i haven't looked through the site to see what sizes are offered. maybe there is somethign that we can fit.

side note on filter area: (does NOT include folds just flat area)
93 IDI turbo air filter area: 93
93 IDI n/a : 74
97 powerstroke : 213

we need more air filter area.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if someone has experience from the new filters, but i'm somewhat thinking of getting one with the airbox. I don't care about the old style K&N filter what had to be oiled and everything and after a while i changed back to paper filter. But now when i'm really thinking of putting an intercooler that might be my solution for an intake. That just would be a lot easier to maintain than the previous model. But if someone has experience how they work in real life please share...

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
looks nice. Wonder how well it would fit under the hood...

This one looks like it would be the best fit for our trucks.

I am thinking right behind the passenger side battery, with some sort of ram air feeding it the air that it needs. I am really really considering this for a filter option when I get my turbo on (since my factory set up is missing the bottom half of the air box).

PZ

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
NNOOOOO k&n's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn---this has been wrote about more than once---stay with stock air--or get a afe???? much better!!!!! my idi turbo engine is proof of those worthless things--

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people not like K&N. Banks has used K&N for years. We use them in every truck in our fleet. The only time you get in troubler is if you use to much oil or start the motor without letting the oil for the 15 minutes K&N says to do
The prevailing wisdom is that, even with proper oil application, K&N's are too free-flowing...either you'll get filter oil past the filter if you over-oil, or you'll get some unfiltered air (i.e. dirt) past the filter if you under-oil, and IIRC it's a very fine line between over-oiling and under-oiling. Even still, IIRC people have run K&N's with proper oiling and done oil analyses that confirmed that unfiltered air was getting into the combustion chamber (and leaving residue in the oil). This topic has been thoroughly discussed in the past...I admit to not remembering all the details, but after that, I won't run any washable filter until there's solid scientific proof that it filters as well as or better than paper filters.

With that said, it looks like these new filters don't require oil...while I haven't held one in my hand to confirm that the filtering media is better, it may well be worth looking into...

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have seen many a engine over 200k with K&N's on them, what seems to be the issue?

Also, these are not the standard oil air filters. Make sure you read all the info from the link.

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
NNOOOOO k&n's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn---this has been wrote about more than once---stay with stock air--or get a afe???? much better!!!!! my idi turbo engine is proof of those worthless things--

Does afe sell just cone filters. kinda like this?

PZ

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I am no fan of K&N filters after loosing a turbo to one, but it appears their new truck filters are an attempt to copy Amsoils dry depth type synthetic fiber air filters. How good a job they've done is hard to say since they have no test data to go with those filters, just a bunch of advertising saying buy our new K&N filters, they are great, so I retain a natural skepticism considering K&Ns track record. Not to mention the incredibly poor idea of running the intake for a diesel through a pod like that under the hood.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Correct. It has been proven time and time again that they let dirt in and dust engines to death. it is even worse on a forced fed engine

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score

did you even read the page. THIS IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FILTER. no oil. no single layer of cotton. no ridiculous warranty. no "it filters better dirty". this is K&N's attempt to sell a legitimate filter.

i just wanted to get some dialog going without knee jerk reactions based on the old filters.

phazertwo: that's exactly the one i found last weekend. i really think i could get it to fit if i moved my coolant filter

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If you want good filtration paper is the only way to go.

If you want or need more flow go bigger! Bigger paper filters are made and can be adapted to work. Example Napa 6637 or wix 46637
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/46637.html

If you want more flow and good filtration and a long lasting filter look into the donaldson powercore filters. They hold tons of dirt before they plug up. Way more than any K&N or any other aftermarket filter.

The air filter is the most important filter on any engine.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
If you want good filtration paper is the only way to go.

If you want or need more flow go bigger! Bigger paper filters are made and can be adapted to work. Example Napa 6637 or wix 46637
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/46637.html

That is the air filter I am looking to add to my newly turbo'd truck. All of the PSD and Cummins guys run those and love the things (aka the BHAF mod). Although my own modifications to allow enough room for that setup are little more extreme (relocated both batteries to the passenger side), I am positive I can make it work. ;Sweet

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa 6637 is the way to go hands down. One day mine will have one.

NAPA Filters

Part Number: FIL 6637

Price: $58.49 ea

Features & Benefits NAPA Gold Air Filters Last 40% Longer And Holds 53% More Dirt Than Other Leading Competitive Brands.

Warranty NAPA Filters are Covered by a Comprehensive Limited Product Warranty. NAPA Filters May Pay the Reasonable Cost for Parts & Labor to Repair any System Damaged by NAPA Filters Due to a Defect in Design or Material.

Attributes Air Filter Height (Inches) : 12.38
Air Filter Style : Air Filter
Air Filter Bottom I.D. (Inches) : 4
Air Filter Bottom I.D. (mm) : 101.60mm
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (Inches) : 8.5
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (mm) : 215.90mm
Air Filter Height (mm) : 314.45mm
Air Filter Top I.D. (Inches) : Closed
Air Filter Top I.D. (mm) : Closed
Air Filter Top O.D. (Inches) : 8.5
Air Filter Top O.D. (mm) : 215.90mm

Material Safety Data Sheet There is no MSDS for this item

I don't know about $59 for a replacement filter and drawing in engine bay heat though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online