New guy with ????? on 99 7.3 ps miss

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
Ok Guys , I dont have a PS but my buddy does. He has a 99 7.3, the prob he is having is rough idle. He said it seems to miss at idle, vibrates and shakes the gear shift. After you rev it up like above 900 rpm it feels like it smoothes out. At highway speed it seems to run ok, he is not sure if it does actually stop missing or you just dont notice it at high rpm. Any help as far as what to check first etc would be appriciated.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
does he still have the dual mass flywheel in it? If so one going bad can cause or amplify a rough running condition. more info would help mileage ect.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
A friend's old 94 PSD had a similar problem. He had it scanned and one of the injectors was going bad. He pulled it, opened it up and cleaned it real good, then replaced it and it got him down the road for a little while. Putting a computer on it would be the first step then go from there.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
How do you do this buzz test? I searched but didnt find it, does a dealer have to do it or what?

You need the proper scan tool to run this test.
Most auto shops will have this tool.

Buzz test and cylinder contribution test are the same thing.
He can start by replacing the valve cover gaskets. Probably 7 out of 10 times I have traced a miss to bad valve cover gasket. You can get the gaskets at your local auto parts store.

Tim the 2lman

Reaction score
Buzz test and cylinder contribution test are the same thing.

Acutally they're not the same test. A buzz test is done KeyOnEngineOff (or KOEO) and tests the electrical side of the injection system possibly revealing wiring continuity problems, IDM problems, or injector problems. It's an audible test to see if an injector is weak or not functioning for instance.

Cylinder contribution test is performed KOERunning and narrows misses down to a specific cylinder that is not equally contributing during it's power cycle. Contribution tests may reveal low compession, due to a bad lifter or burned valve, cracked piston, as well as faulty injectors.;Sweet

I like to run them both.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
could also be a loose UVHC, had 2 just this weak, one ran crappy for 2 miles the was fine, the other came and went

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuity Test.
If it's a 99.5 you will more than likely get a false continuity test on #6 & #8 unless you have updated to the AE injector for #8 cyl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent