NEW GUY NEEDS HELP !! 1994 7.3 Turbo- Crank but no start

DeputyWilson

Reaction score
Sooo, this is my first post here, I am brand new to the site so I apologize if this question has been asked a million times. But here we go.

I have a 1994 7.3 idi turbo that I inherited from my father in law. its a crew cab, long bed, 5 speed, and I just broke 70k miles. It is BONE STOCK other than some airbags on the rear and some gauges for boost ( unplugged the wastegate) and EGT. Overall the truck is in pretty good shape, however, I have had issues with rough starts for a while now. I noticed that I was having a substantial and increasing fuel leak from some of my return lines, so I replaced the return lines. I also was having an issue where the "wait to start" light would come on for about 2 seconds and turn off, then the GPR would click over and over, so I replaced all of the glow plugs also (motorcraft of course).

So after all that, much to my surprise the truck ran great. I had no more leaks and it was starting right up, no problems. I had driven it several times and several hundred miles with no issues. I really thought that it was fixed. HOWEVER, this last Saturday, I went out to start the truck and it started, but kinda sputtered a little bit after it fired, but smoothed out within a couple seconds, and I drove it around for a while with not problems. Just this morning, I went out to start it up after it had sat for a few days and it turned over, cranked, fired and started. It ran for about 2 seconds and then sputtered out and died. I cranked it again for about 4 cycles of 5-10 seconds and nothing. It didn't even act like it wanted to fire at all.

So here I am, confused and irritated. I'm wondering if this is a new problem, or just more of the same old stuff. So my question to ya'll is, where do I start? I planned on checking the fuel shut off solenoid, and checking the fuel flow at the schrader valve to see if it's getting fuel. Could it be the fuel pump? could it be my injection pump? Where should I start and what do I look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you guys in advance !

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Pull the fuel filter off. Chances are it's not full. Definitely sounds like air leaking into the return system and fuel draining back to the tank.
I agree. Also, how much fuel is in the tank that you're running on? If it's at 1/4 or less, try switching to the other tank if it has more fuel or add some to the tank and see what happens. If it runs better, then I would suspect that the fuel pick ups (showerheads) in your tank or tanks have broken off. This is a common problem with our trucks as they get older.
Also, welcome. It sounds like you may have checked us out before joining. Now that you're a member, there's A LOT of reading that you can do on here to fill up your spare time.

DeputyWilson

Reaction score
I have changed the fuel filter probably half a dozen times since i've owned it. There was an issue before I got it where it sat for a long time and the fuel went bad. The tanks were swapped out and I was told the fuel system was cleaned out. However, every time I have replaced the filter, there has been what looks like black river sand and some orange chunks of ****. But that's why i change the filter so often. I have run the biokleen treatment through it and tried to shock it and continue to run power service additive through it.

The tank I was using initially had a half a tank so no issue there and then I switched it over to the other tank which was totally full, and that didn't work either. Same problem.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up asphaltines(if I recall the name of the black sand ****)
You got air intrusion, and possibly a fsv issue

Last edited:

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree , symptoms would lean towards air intrusion.
Not at the tanks pick-up location (since you say you already replaced them)

Seems to me that your culprit might be at the fuel heater terminal/connector on the fuel filter housing , I am willing to bet that is the problem since you haven’t stated you changed it or replaced it.

As for the black river sand and orange chucks ,there is corrosion in your fuel system , makes me think the tanks are bad

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online